ST Early Impressions

Ford Puma ST Chat
Vendee

Post by Vendee »

The Monkey Man wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:20 pm
If I was to be utterly blunt, if you can't stay in lane nor manage your headlights etc. perhaps you shouldn't be on the road?
Hmmm..... I'm sure they said that about syncro gearboxes, radial tyres, automatic choke, servo assisted brakes, power steering, ABS, traction control, cruise control, etc etc........ ;)
Puma ST Line Vignale 125, DAP Magnetic

Deleted User 905

Post by Deleted User 905 »

Thinking about synchro gearboxes I used to love doubling the clutch. Made me feel like a real boy racer 🚗 in my old Mini Van.
Vendee

Post by Vendee »

lightfoot wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:22 pm Thinking about synchro gearboxes I used to love doubling the clutch. Made me feel like a real boy racer 🚗 in my old Mini Van.
One is showing ones age :lol:
The Monkey Man

Post by The Monkey Man »

Vendee wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:54 pm
If I was to be utterly blunt, if you can't stay in lane nor manage your headlights etc. perhaps you shouldn't be on the road?
Hmmm..... I'm sure they said that about syncro gearboxes, radial tyres, automatic choke, servo assisted brakes, power steering, ABS, traction control, cruise control, etc etc........ ;)
None of those overrode your decision making though did they.
Puma ST Agate Black
Vendee

Post by Vendee »

The Monkey Man wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:13 pm
Vendee wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:54 pm
None of those overrode your decision making though did they.
Erm..... Pretty much all of them.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Nothing great about doing without all the driving aids on the road. Best to save the Macho stuff for the track. ;)
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

I well remember all that stuff plus no heater, radio, flashing indicators, pumping the brakes and a whole lot more. Consigned to history where it all belongs.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Deleted User 965

Post by Deleted User 965 »

So I’ve had my ST a few days and a few days running about in it. I have a few niggles list, not sure which are par for the course, which are just running in and which might be a cause for concern.

Firstly, a few bits that I missed with slightly glazed eyes at the handover. Some of the panel alignments are a tiny bit out but I imagine they’d be regarded as within tolerances. The front splitter has some slight gaps on each end between it and the body. Then there is a slight ding/ripple in the plastic trim over one of the wheel arches. Like I say, I imagine all of these are within tolerances and are typical of a mass produced car.

Then flip and positive side, the looks I find really pleasing on the eye, the colour is just me completely, the seats I love and the ear to ear smile every time I press the start button. It properly pulls too and I can’t wait for it to be run in. The gear change is smoother, slicker and more pleasing than the demo car I had. The B&O makes a bigger difference than I thought it would and really enjoying some tunes. The grip and the steering I like. I don’t find it too twitchy after getting used to it as some reviews stated.

One niggle that is getting under my skin which has been mentioned before is Active Braking switching itself on every time the engine is started. There is no way I’m going to let it jump on the brakes like a driving instructor so I have to disable it manually every time. It’s part of the routine now just like putting the belt on, plugging the phone in and hitting the S button. :D

Two potential issues. The first is the brakes feel quite spongey and aren’t giving me a lot of confidence. I expected them to be a bit of a ‘cleaner’ feel for all round discs. Maybe they’ll run in a bit yet. The handbrake feels like it needs to be pulled on pretty hard to hold the car too so I may need these checking out if it carries on. The other is an occasional bit of a clunk when disengaging 1st or 2nd gear. Nothing is felt through the gear stick, but is felt through the floor by driver and passenger and an audible clunk. I think it has done it 6-7 times in 150 miles. Whether this is a bit of a problem brewing or just something that I’m not used to. I don’t think it’s a loud exhaust pop or wastegate. So whether it’s transmission or something with the diff I don’t know.

Last one is…. Bl**dy birds! It properly needs a wash already.
Deleted User 878

Post by Deleted User 878 »

When are we going to see it.....
Sorry to hear that you have a few issues, that your not happy with. I for one have nil complaints and 100% happy with mine....must have been a Wednesday car.
Anyway, I'm sure you get them sorted as it sounds like your not the sort of person to let things go.

GET THE PICS ON.
The Monkey Man

Post by The Monkey Man »

Bluecat wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:10 pm So I’ve had my ST a few days and a few days running about in it. I have a few niggles list, not sure which are par for the course, which are just running in and which might be a cause for concern.

Firstly, a few bits that I missed with slightly glazed eyes at the handover. Some of the panel alignments are a tiny bit out but I imagine they’d be regarded as within tolerances. The front splitter has some slight gaps on each end between it and the body. Then there is a slight ding/ripple in the plastic trim over one of the wheel arches. Like I say, I imagine all of these are within tolerances and are typical of a mass produced car.

Then flip and positive side, the looks I find really pleasing on the eye, the colour is just me completely, the seats I love and the ear to ear smile every time I press the start button. It properly pulls too and I can’t wait for it to be run in. The gear change is smoother, slicker and more pleasing than the demo car I had. The B&O makes a bigger difference than I thought it would and really enjoying some tunes. The grip and the steering I like. I don’t find it too twitchy after getting used to it as some reviews stated.

One niggle that is getting under my skin which has been mentioned before is Active Braking switching itself on every time the engine is started. There is no way I’m going to let it jump on the brakes like a driving instructor so I have to disable it manually every time. It’s part of the routine now just like putting the belt on, plugging the phone in and hitting the S button. :D

Two potential issues. The first is the brakes feel quite spongey and aren’t giving me a lot of confidence. I expected them to be a bit of a ‘cleaner’ feel for all round discs. Maybe they’ll run in a bit yet. The handbrake feels like it needs to be pulled on pretty hard to hold the car too so I may need these checking out if it carries on. The other is an occasional bit of a clunk when disengaging 1st or 2nd gear. Nothing is felt through the gear stick, but is felt through the floor by driver and passenger and an audible clunk. I think it has done it 6-7 times in 150 miles. Whether this is a bit of a problem brewing or just something that I’m not used to. I don’t think it’s a loud exhaust pop or wastegate. So whether it’s transmission or something with the diff I don’t know.

Last one is…. Bl**dy birds! It properly needs a wash already.
Can't say I have any panel gap issues even despite the front being off to replace the parts broken when I destroyed a Pheasant. Only larger gap is the bonnet front but that's on all of them. If it bothers you, perhaps post some pictures for others to compare.
Brakes have never been spongy. If I was to stamp on them I would headbutt the wheel.
Handbrake is very secure and doesn't need pulling up that much.
As for the clunk, not had that but I don't have a front diff either.
Puma ST Agate Black