OBD dummy port Puma ST

Ford Puma ST Chat
Gary_28

Post by Gary_28 »

Hey all just joined the Forums instead of going through all the messages/posts I thought I would just ask.

Recently got a puma ST, I have a disk lock however looking to do somthing with the OBD port/module, at the moment it has been tucked up in the dash.

Been looking for a dummy port however can't find any online for the puma.

Anyone got and sensible ideas or suggestions 🤔

Thanks

Chocky

Post by Chocky »

What's your concern with the socket?
Gary_28

Post by Gary_28 »

No concern as such with the port, im looking g at putting in a dummy port or somthing similar, however can't find anything online fir the puma.

Has anyone else cone across anything?
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Try eBay, moving the existing OBD would invalidate your warranty. I would check first.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Gary_28

Post by Gary_28 »

Rizmo wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:28 am Try eBay, moving the existing OBD would invalidate your warranty. I would check first.
It's only two bolts 5 minutes top, I was speaking to a ford tech in Falkirk parts he suggested himself to tuck it up.
Chocky

Post by Chocky »

Forgive my ignorance but what is a dummy port for?
Gary_28

Post by Gary_28 »

It's two modules, one plugs into the OBD which you can put up in the dash out the way the dummy part goes where the orginal was.

The dummy will have power however you can't do nothing with it.

So car theifs can turn off the alarm or code keys
Deleted User 361

Post by Deleted User 361 »

Ford's are supposed to sound the alarm and disable the onboard systems for 10 minutes if an unauthorised obd connection is made

Obviously that wouldn't be enough if there's no-one around to hear/spot what's going on though
Gary_28

Post by Gary_28 »

Are they? No seen nothing online or even when I was in my local parts department they said nothing like that.

Reading up on it if somone plugs in a device with the software they can bypass all security in seconds and be in the car and away no one none the wiser.

Thats why I have been looking at dummy ports, trying to anyways however not having any luck
Deleted User 361

Post by Deleted User 361 »

There’s various bits on the web (though nothing Puma specific that I’ve found), for instance

“If criminals reach the OBD port, any attempt to plug into the car’s diagnostics automatically initiates a 10-minute software lockdown, while the alarm continues to sound. Repeated attempts to access the system restarts the 10-minute wait period, eliminating the possibility of rapid illegitimate programming of keys for the car via the OBD.”