Petrol smell

Ford Puma ST Chat
jake52

Post by jake52 »

I've been a diesel owner for over 30 years so I'm not sure if there is a problem or this is normal. If the car has been sat for a day or two and I start the car there is briefly a noticeable smell of petrol. Not inside the car, I've only noticed it as I've started the car and got out to put something in the boot. It then goes away. I'd assumed it was just briefly running rich on startup, but thought I would mention it here first. Maybe coming from a diesel it's more noticeable and also back when I was driving petrol cars and using a choke then this kind of smell was expected, but with modern cars I wasn't expecting it at all.

kevmond

Post by kevmond »

I'd say its not normal to smell Petrol upon start up.
You will get a bit of exhaust gas smell (hard to describe) as the Catalyst is being warmed up and before fuelling goes into closed loop (Runs rich for a bit then switches over to Lambda sensor)

My wife used to start her car up on the drive & then load the boot while the front door was left open, the porch would fill with exhaust fumes (Slightly heady kind of smell) although nothing like the old days of carbureted cars!!
White ST with Performance pack.
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Definitely not normal... If it carries on then get it checked out. Have you noticed any obvious sign of fuel deposits underneath on your road/drive?
Fumes/smells of any sort especially if its noticeable in the cabin can be dangerous, in so much it could cause drowsiness when driving.
I had a issue once (Alfa MiTo 155, I think it was?) when I detected a continuous and strong smell. I couldn't place it or work out where it was coming from. (I am an aircraft engineer, so I would like to think I could trace it, but no, no chance).
So got the dealership have a look but they didn't find anything. In the end I asked a pal at a local garage. He found it!
It was a split breather hose attached to the engine rocker cover which just happened to be close to the cabin air inlet.