Recaro seats in new Puma ST

Ford Puma ST Chat
Pug63

Post by Pug63 »

Hi All
Picked up my brand new Puma ST yesterday from Days in Swansea - brilliant service. The scarcity of the model and features I wanted - all the extras except the tow bar and the Grey Matter colour - meant a long train ride to Swansea from Cheshire followed by a decent drive home. I’d only been able to manage to arrange test drives in 125 and 155 bhp models locally so took a chance on purchasing the car based on the great reviews of the punchy performance combined in such a practical body. I’ve owned fast Fords in the distant past - the first Focus ST based on the Volvo engine and a Mondeo ST 220 - so it didn’t seem too big of a gamble.
However I’ve been really surprised at the Recaro seats in the Puma - I’m finding them incredibly uncomfortable. I’ve tried methodically setting up the seat step by step to ensure the optimum driving position but I’m still struggling. The width of the lower seat itself just seems too narrow between those overly high and very firm bolsters. I’m not excessively big - 85kg and 180cm tall - but I’m suffering with both the dimensions of the seat and the lack of padding. I completely understand the intent of holding the driver firmly in place given the car’s capabilities but unless something improves I fear I’ve made an expensive mistake. I’ve just ordered a narrow gel pad to fit between the bolsters on the seat in the hope it might give a little comfort and raise me more level with the top of the bolsters. I guess my questions to all of you ST owners are: Did you encounter the same issues?; Did things improve on their own or have you made any adjustments?; Or do you all find the seats ok and it’s just me that needs to adapt over time?
Thanks in anticipation of your replies
PS - I really want to like this car! - it’s got so many good things going for it

Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Definitely one for the 'try before you buy' scenario. The seats are identical to those in the MK8 FiST.

There was a bit of negative feedback about them back in 2018. I didn't mind them at all, but they are snug. I wrote not so long ago that I took a mate out once who said he couldn't last more than half an hour in them.

Others will be along to post that they find them fine. A firm seat coupled to a stiff set up is never going to make a grand tourer.
STer

Post by STer »

Pug63 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:45 pm Hi All
Picked up my brand new Puma ST yesterday from Days in Swansea - brilliant service. The scarcity of the model and features I wanted - all the extras except the tow bar and the Grey Matter colour - meant a long train ride to Swansea from Cheshire followed by a decent drive home. I’d only been able to manage to arrange test drives in 125 and 155 bhp models locally so took a chance on purchasing the car based on the great reviews of the punchy performance combined in such a practical body. I’ve owned fast Fords in the distant past - the first Focus ST based on the Volvo engine and a Mondeo ST 220 - so it didn’t seem too big of a gamble.
However I’ve been really surprised at the Recaro seats in the Puma - I’m finding them incredibly uncomfortable. I’ve tried methodically setting up the seat step by step to ensure the optimum driving position but I’m still struggling. The width of the lower seat itself just seems too narrow between those overly high and very firm bolsters. I’m not excessively big - 85kg and 180cm tall - but I’m suffering with both the dimensions of the seat and the lack of padding. I completely understand the intent of holding the driver firmly in place given the car’s capabilities but unless something improves I fear I’ve made an expensive mistake. I’ve just ordered a narrow gel pad to fit between the bolsters on the seat in the hope it might give a little comfort and raise me more level with the top of the bolsters. I guess my questions to all of you ST owners are: Did you encounter the same issues?; Did things improve on their own or have you made any adjustments?; Or do you all find the seats ok and it’s just me that needs to adapt over time?
Thanks in anticipation of your replies
PS - I really want to like this car! - it’s got so many good things going for it
Not sure what advice could be given on this one. I'd read 100X on forums about the ST's Recaros being great for some, and similar to what you've felt, by others. I thought they were great when I tried them. You could have seen if an ST-3 (more common that the PUMA ST) was fairly local to you, and asked a dealer if you could sit in them before hand. I'm sure i've read they they give a bit of 'give' as they break in, too?
With new cars, every feeling about them is intensified at first, and maybe you'll settle into them. Hang in there.

Surprised you went to Swansea. I guess they must have gave a good bargain on a new one? I ask as doing a 'high to low' search on AutoTrader they are often hanging around the top area (expensive) and have some which have ben advertised since the dinosaurs ruled the earth.
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Honestly do not worry about the seats.....and get rid of the gel pads immediately.You will soon forget all of your concerns.
I have had numerous RS's and even a Type R in the passed none of which come close to the seat's in my Puma ST......The thing is when you first drive your brand 'new' ST you will immediately think oh omg they sure are a tight fit...and yes they are. But I've done some 2k + in my Puma ST and now I don't for one minute give it a second thought. You will find with use they will slowly mould (the bolsters) to you body. I absolutely promise you that.... I am 6'.1" and 15 stone (that's old money) and medium boned....So unless (excuse me for saying) your any bigger than me just give it time and miles and you're start wondering what all the fuss was about.
Oh and by the way the ST needs a good 1k on the clock before it settles and before you can really appreciate it's 320nm Torque......and oh yes I just remembered make absolutely certain tyre pressures are spot on (use a gauge & don't rely on the App) the dealerships simply never get the pressures right during PDi.
Last edited by Rays1 on Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevmond

Post by kevmond »

Personally I find them a little uncomfortable, however I recently undertook a 2 hr round trip and they were not too bad.
Reassuring to read they eventually mould to the driver!

I was initially apprehensive after collecting my ST (chopped in a 1.5 Kuga)

Pretty sure mines loosened up a bit, I’ve driven it like I hate it since 15miles old.

My supplying Stealership also didn’t set the tyre pressures (were at 2.8Bar!) it seems quite a bit more pliant since. 🤣
Pug63

Post by Pug63 »

Thanks for taking the time to comment guys, much appreciated. Time (and miles) will tell I guess. I’ll check the tyre pressures in the morning 😎👍🏻
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

On the subject of tyre pressures...I did a little experimentation on pressures, after which I found best setting for my ST to be 34psi front and 29psi (I am old school on old money) for the rear....
That's a cold Puma ST with the tyres / car as far as possible out of any direct sunlight.
Checking and adding air during the midday summer sunshine you run the risk of under inflation by as much as 3-4psi.
Pug63

Post by Pug63 »

Quick update - checked the tyre pressures as advised and they were way over. All 4 tyres at 39 psi!
Reduced to 34 front and 29 rear using a gauge and took a short drive, huge improvement from yesterday
Thanks again for the heads up 😎👍🏻
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Pug63 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:35 pm Quick update - checked the tyre pressures as advised and they were way over. All 4 tyres at 39 psi!
Reduced to 34 front and 29 rear using a gauge and took a short drive, huge improvement from yesterday
Thanks again for the heads up 😎👍🏻
No problem.. do keep a check on em. The pressures will vary depending on the OAT (Outside Air Temperature)