PUMA ST owners: Why didn't you buy the Fiesta ST?

Ford Puma ST Chat
R-JACKO

Post by R-JACKO »

Evening all new to the forum. Just ordered a ST Puma,Im coming from a MK8 ST 3 Fiesta.I fancied a bit of change more room hoping the ride isn't going to be quite as firm and less rattles.

Durhamblackcat

Post by Durhamblackcat »

I'm new to the forum, having just ordered a Puma ST yesterday.

Currently have a Cupra Ateca on lease. My first lease car and probably my last too. Not a reflection on the car, which is great, but realisation of the liabilities of the leasee in the event of an early termination.

Our children are grown-up but I still need a car to transport elderly parents. Suppose I could have bought a 4 door Fiesta; cheaper than a Puma and better performance, I hear. However, my wife did not want a Fiesta and really liked the Puma's looks.

Chose grey matter paint with the darker wheels and performance pack, £27.6k cash, expected delivery Nov.

Will be sorry to lose the Cupra but happy with the prospect of a Puma ST. Did not see myself going back to manual cars but the Puma won me over.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Welcome,
The extra height over the Fiesta will prove invaluable for the elderly parents....Good choice.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Durhamblackcat

Post by Durhamblackcat »

There were no STs here in the NE to test drive, so it was a model like yours that I test drove, just to get a feel for the Puma car, the driving experience and the manual gears. It was a good car to drive.

I like the shape of the Puma and think that it benefits from being a relatively recent design.

Thanks for the welcome, Sparks.
R-JACKO

Post by R-JACKO »

Hello all
Managed to test drive a Puma ST yesterday.Coming from a Fiesta MK8 ST3 the ride in the Puma is so much better for me. We found it not as firm.The Fiesta is definitely quicker obviously the Puma is a heavier car.The exhaust isn't quite as loud the Fiesta has more pops and bangs.For me the Puma is a better all round car for what we use it for.
Deleted User 878

Post by Deleted User 878 »

I'm heading towards 60 but still like my hot hatches (mini cooper S) but needed something a little bit bigger and higher seat. Not much to choose from and the mini countryman is ugly. The Puma ST was launched and it ticked all the boxes. I ordered it in August and I have a build date in October. Probably get it as a Christmas present. Anyway, to answer your question, the fiesta was not in the frame as its not what we wanted.
martn

Post by martn »

Hey there! I just bought a Puma ST and sold my fully Mountune tuned MK8 ST. I love the ST, but was about to hit 100k km, so it was time to sell it. I did want a different car, but was looking for the same amount of fun and more space. While test driving the Puma I did find it the driving and handling super close to the MK8 ST. The only thing I was missing was my 270hp, but that can be solved anyways. :D
STer

Post by STer »

And imo, that new Fiesta ST facelift looks worse than the 'outgoing' model.
Kemills1

Post by Kemills1 »

I went for the Puma ST mainly for the extra ground clearance. Having said that, I prefer the look of the Puma. It has more presence on the road especially in mean green.
Mean Green Puma ST performance.
Deleted User 965

Post by Deleted User 965 »

Where to start with this one. It has taken me 3 months to decide fully. The caveat too was that I had pretty much tossed a coin in August and ordered the outgoing ST-3 instead. My list is a bit strange, including some very vain ones. But a blue Puma ST I have ordered and finally got confirmation today.

Colour, puddle lights and the fact that big cats absolutely fascinate me. My name on here doesn't actually have anything to do with the car I've now ordered. Love the colour blue and big cats and the fact that I might even be able to source the puddle lights off the Vignale is a cheesy win win.

I'm a big rally enthusiast, and the Puma appearing in the WRC in name at least. Yes I know that the Puma Rally1 is as far away from a real Puma as is possible to get. If anything the new rally car is probably closer to a Fiesta in a marketing frock. I also know the Fiesta is the purists drive and I'm not buying the car for practicality, but I'm not going to be challenging the PB time of Craig Breen down any of my local B roads either. I want a fast Ford that I can use each day and that will put a big smile on my face when stretching its legs a bit. I think personally (For me) I can extract just as much fun out of the Puma as I can out of the Fiesta.

Moving on to slightly more real reasons. There is a practicality element to it. It's a bit more spacious without being a much bigger car, and a little less raw on the ride. We're a family of 4 and whilst we have a family car, this will play a role in family life as well. Off to the zoo/seaside? fancy a change? fill the boot and take the Puma. Dad's happy. :D

Some of the more serious reviews on the ol' tube are very complimentary of the Puma in that there isn't a massive difference between the two small fast Fords. When I drove the Puma, I loved it. Gave me an instant kick of fun and I'm excited to drive mine home from a dealer that is a good distance away via the back roads.

Delivery, the state of supply in the world and the facelift Fiesta. I really wanted the car with nice, branded Recaro seats. The Puma is the only one left here now on my shortlist. Then there is the powerfold heated mirrors. First world problems I know, but I'd rather have them than not and so yes it's gone in to the decision pot.

The continued uncertainty of when the Fiestas will actually land and at the moment Ford are prioritising the little Puma and so I stand a better chance of seeing one of those before next Autumn than I do a Fiesta. I've seen a Puma too. I haven't seen a facelift Fiesta and so how can I say that I'm going to love it when it arrives?

The Puma is a grower when it comes to looks. I was a little uncertain at first and now I really rather love it. I certainly find myself looking with more interest and curiosity at a passing Puma than I do a Fiesta ST and the only way I can quantify that is that I've had plenty of Fiestas (Never an ST though) but I've never had a Puma. So maybe it's because it's a bit different and deep down I'm craving the variety. Yes it's an SUV, no it's not a hot hatch. But it is a cracking car and it's a bit different and quirky that Ford have combined performance and crossover and are throwing a lot of resource behind it.

Now I'm the last person in the world who will care too much what people think of me if they're all about hate. There is however a little bit of an image thing in that the Puma probably feels just a tad less mid-life crisis and a little more grown up. Very much a personal choice/opinion thing and I have nothing against any kind of mid-life crisis. Mine is well in to the implementation stage already and without taking my choice of car in to account.

For me, both cars tick pretty much every box. The Puma ticks a few more and for all the reasons above, my gut feel was that it was the right choice and so I cancelled my Fiesta order and paid considerably more for the Puma. Being able to switch from a rude and ineffective dealer to one that provides exemplary, old fashioned customer service was a major bonus too. Not a single regret!