PUMA ST owners: Why didn't you buy the Fiesta ST?

Ford Puma ST Chat
STer

Post by STer »

Question goes out to PUMA ST owners or those considering purchasing one.
Why did you go for the Puma, as opposed the Fiesta?

Needed a bigger car? Simply preferred the look of the PUMA? Thought the Mk8 Fiesta ST looks like your neighbour's bog standard Fiesta at best, ugly at worse? Test drove both and preferred the PUMA? Had a Fiesta ST, maybe a MK7, and fancied a change and something about the Mk8 you didn't like?

Of course, forgetting about opportunistic bargains, discounts etc, pound for pound the Fiesta ST is a good few grand less than the PUMA ST, and 'journos' say it handles better than the PUMA (understandable given the shapes, hatch v crossover etc etc). Did that factor into your decision, or not?

Interesting to know.
Personally I like the look of it (the PUMA) and as much as I've tried to warm to the MK8 Fiesta ST, to me it looks so boring I just couldn't hand over the cash for one, no matter how well it (allegedly) drives.

stephen600

Post by stephen600 »

the good lady has a mk8 fiesta st, and I jumped from the mk 4 focus st to the puma st and so far all is good πŸ‘
STer

Post by STer »

stephen600 wrote: ↑Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:24 pm the good lady has a mk8 fiesta st, and I jumped from the mk 4 focus st to the puma st and so far all is good πŸ‘
Do you find the Mk8 Fiesta destroys the Puma for handling (I presume you've got the Performance Packs on them)? Or is it closer?
Is the exhaust much louder on the MK8 ST, compared to the PUMA ST?
And how about the steering comparison? Every one and his dog seems to whine on about the PUMA ST's steering in youtube vids. How do you find that compared to the Mk8 Fiesta's (which itself has the odd comment about it)?
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

I went for the Puma ST as a replacement for my MK3 RS Focus.
Why, my Focus RS was 4+ years (a very early build) old, Sync 2 and out of warranty.
The Fiesta ST was not an option for me, old school, to common, outdated cockpit (analogue)
not big enough, less room in the rear and to low on the ground.
I took a risk in ordering the Puma ST, I ordered before any road tests and delivered Dec 2020.
I considered the MK4 Focus ST, but I considered it boring to drive and again too common.
Given all of the above I wanted something Fun, quick and a lot cheeper to run/insure than the RS.
Did I make the right decision? Absolutely I did. Okay never gonna be as quick as RS.
The Puma ST is an absolute hoot to drive. Handling (performance pack essential) is brilliant, it's so good it will keep up with some of best performance cars on UK's twisting A roads.
Torque is excellent. Interior Trim and seats very nice. Very happy.
and if your brave enough go for Mean Green or White if your not.
Plus given it tuning potential I will look at Mountune once the warranty has expired.
STer

Post by STer »

Nice write up Rays.

I'm the opposite with digital 'cockpits', I can't stand them, but certainly no deal breaker.

a) How do you find the steering?

b) How is the torque steer putting your foot down out of corners. Is it okay or does it pull you on the steering wheel?
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Have you heard many gripes about the seats? As they are straight out of the mk8 ST, my mate who enjoys a chippy tea always said he couldn't do more than 20 miles in them. I liked them, I felt snug.
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

STer wrote: ↑Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:53 pm Nice write up Rays.

I'm the opposite with digital 'cockpits', I can't stand them, but certainly no deal breaker.

a) How do you find the steering?

b) How is the torque steer putting your foot down out of corners. Is it okay or does it pull you on the steering wheel?
Fair do on the dials.
Steering I admit is sharp, very sharp.. Basically just be sensible and take your time getting used to it, then roundabouts and 90deg bends become fun all the way. Couldn't do without it now.
Haven't gone mad but sense torque steer is present.
Here is a comparison, I had a Focus RS Mk.1, very similar in many respects, size, LSD, front wheel drive, power, outright performance and 19" Oz alloys, however on the Mk1 torque steer would quickly send you into a bush or worse a tree and you knew it the minute you pressed on the pedal. Not so the Puma ST it's far more forgiving and no pull on steering, well not yet anyroad.πŸ€” Grips not many, sleep mode a nightmare and that rear diffuser omg, why isn't it gloss black to match like the rest of the car.
STer

Post by STer »

Cheers. Sounds cool.
I've got a Juke NISMO RS in the family (it's the dog's car lol) with the tech pack and that's the possible car which eventually could make way for the PUMA ST. Natural really in a way. In fairness, the reviews of that are very hit and miss, but I must admit it's a LOT better than reviewers say. Once you ditch the ditch finder Conti Sport Contact 5 (OEM) and put Pilot Sport 4 tyres. Totally transformed the car and reduced wheel spin and torque steer so much. But it's still there if you were in 2nd, say, and floored it on a non-winding, tighter corner. I'm a bit reluctant to part X/sell at the moment as it's been flawless over 3.5 years except for engine mounts which had a warranty repair as they were causing clicking when reversing and turning right.
Deleted User 509

Post by Deleted User 509 »

In this country it's an easy choice:

The Fiesta is $2k more
It looks old fashioned cf the Puma. The Puma has only arrived here this year - the Fiesta for years
It's only available here in manual box and that's a hard sell as new cars without an auto are pretty much a rarity (I think there's only 5 new car models with manual?)
Our open road speed is 100kph and the cops are a bit anal about speeding
Our roads are crap anyway, so speed/handling etc are just dreams
STer

Post by STer »

I think I'll be considering the KONA N. Some serious coin but once the chip shortages are over and it won't be the biggest stellar, I'd expect sub 30 mile pre reggers to be around 31K
The 5 yr warranty isn't too bad either. I've heard good stuff about the 'N' stuff. The DSG in the KONA N is the biggest concern. Not in itself, as I've read it's A* grade as a box, but the fact that it's a DSG. The Mrs feels it will be better for commuting. I'd be willing to give it a test drive.

I don't expect a non free colour puma st with a perf pack + driv asst pack to still see 28K+ as a pre reg, even when the chip shortage is over. That and a 3 yr warranty (as opposed to 5) and all the stories on here put me off a fair bit.