Wobbly front number plate

Upgrading your Puma, Mods, Accessories, Upgrades
Curryhouse

Post by Curryhouse »

Good morning,

Did a search and not a lot came up - mainly requests for dealership numbers to ask why its not delivered yet!

Front number plate wobbles like jelly - bad design fault? Other plates have fixing holes near the end of the plate making it more stable - these have holes towards the middle resulting in more flex.

Has anyone come up with a solution? Don't want to drill more holes! How do "number plate holders" work?

Thanks

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Mine are as solid as a rock with no wobble at all...
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. đźš·đźšł
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

There is a minimal and not a very substantial flat surface on the Puma front end for reg plates.
The front bumper has two pre-drilled reg plate fixing positions. So not many alternative fixing positions. Some Dealerships do a really poor job when it comes to installing reg plates, especially on the front. The plate is often either positioned to high or to low on the bumper. Restricting airflow to either the radiator or intercooler depending how it was fitted.
If at all possible adjust your plate to a midway position, equal about the flat surface on the bumper using only the original fixing positions. I absolutely do not recommend drilling new fixing positions.
When the front plate is positioned either too high or too low and when driving at motorway speed the wind pressure will tend to causes the plate to deflect one way or another and thus that in turn puts an additional strain on the soft plastic bumper original fixing points. Ford Plate holders are a good idea as they give lots of alternative screw locations to match the original fixing positions in the bumper and add some rigidity. But you may need a new front plate drilled to match the bumper. Try if at all possible to use the original fixing positions, with new screws, and tighten, definitely not loose but not so tight as to crack the bumper. (Very tricky this) in addition if the screws holes are damaged then use some form of plastic thread lock (but one that will undo) and perhaps if really necessary in addition use some "Small" and discreet double sided sticky number plate pads.
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Rays1, that's good advice. My dealer made a mess of front and rear, when I complained they sent a new aluminium set. The front is now at the correct height but sits at a slant as the pre drilled holes are mismatched. I've bought a new set of good quality plastic plates. The original rear plate is fixed in the right position but the holes were drilled towards the top of the plate meaning it's kicked out at the bottom. Rather than more holes in the bodywork this looks like a case for double sided stickies. The weather is still too cold for this so I'll wait for warmer climes.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Rizmo wrote: ↑Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:32 pm Rays1, that's good advice. My dealer made a mess of front and rear, when I complained they sent a new aluminium set. The front is now at the correct height but sits at a slant as the pre drilled holes are mismatched. I've bought a new set of good quality plastic plates. The original rear plate is fixed in the right position but the holes were drilled towards the top of the plate meaning it's kicked out at the bottom. Rather than more holes in the bodywork this looks like a case for double sided stickies. The weather is still too cold for this so I'll wait for warmer climes.
Typical dealership. Use an apprentice to do the so called easy jobs with the potential to ruin the body work on a brand new car. The Puma has all the right fixing positions at new. Just why they seem to want to drill yet more holes in bodywork begger's believe.
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Removed the rear number plate and found this. Cowboy comes to mind. I take it the 2 circular areas should have been used to fit the plate. I'm not happy but the dealer is 200 miles away so will sort myself.

IMG20220309132039.jpg

Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Rizmo wrote: ↑Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:00 pm Removed the rear number plate and found this. Cowboy comes to mind. I take it the 2 circular areas should have been used to fit the plate. I'm not happy but the dealer is 200 miles away so will sort myself.IMG20220309132039.jpg
Yes absolutely, the two circles are exactly that, the fixing positions for the number plates as designed by Ford.
I honestly dispair when I see photos like that..not even any thoughts on what they might drill into.
Same goes for the front, two predetermined fixing positions.
Unnecessary and deliberate damage.
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

I’d be furious.

The dealer would be paying for it one way or another. Terrible workmanship irrespective that it’s hidden.
Magnetic ST Line X FE. HFPT, Panoramic roof, DAP, Fixed LED, 19” Alloys,
sinlessUK

Post by sinlessUK »

That's awful!
https://topcashback.co.uk/ref/simon | https://surfshark.club/friend/Fbv9yqHV | https://share.octopus.energy/flax-elm-797 | https://electroverse.octopus.energy/network/sign-up?referralCode=flax-elm-797 | https://app.tronity.io/signup/QJJDFDC6
DavesPuma

Post by DavesPuma »

New member here! When I bought my Puma last August I asked the dealer to supply and fit European style number plate surrounds that I found on the Ford Parts website. They fit perfectly and they look great! I’m sure when I found them last year they were only £6.50 each but now it looks like they are £25 a pair

322FF30D-2207-4B6E-A93E-33D22603EAD0.png