Yellow spanner warning light

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
pmarshall100

Post by pmarshall100 »

Hi. A new member. Got a Puma St Line X last Friday. Great looking car. On a blast on my local motorway this morning a yellow warning light (spanner) came on and said there is a fault I need to take to my dealer. The handbook says that this indicates a fault with the powertrain !! And only a few days old!! Straight to dealer and by now after a restart the spanner light had gone out. Dealer looked at it straight away ie plugged it into a computer. After 45 mins they said they could find nothing wrong. Advised to drive away and see if problem come back! Anyone one else had this yellow light come on???

Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Perhaps your puma is telling you it's not yet ready for a blast. 😁 Steady away.

Screenshot_20210427-194956.png

Chocky

Post by Chocky »

Dozens of reasons the spanner light can come on and you will have a trouble code set in the ECU. Do you remember the fault message on the display? Poor show by the dealer not diagnosing properly.
Mike

Post by Mike »

My van does it sometimes but is always accompanied by a message, there is also an active message screen on it to refer back to. I guess the puma is slightly different?
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
pmarshall100

Post by pmarshall100 »

Thanks for these comments. All that the message that came up said "See Owner's Manual" plus the yellow spanner. When pressed OK, message went away and the spanner stayed on the screen. On the next engine restart, the spanner had gone! So I drive on and hope!!
Emilymoo

Post by Emilymoo »

Hi did anything happen with this? I have had my puma st line sonce end of feb and the spanner warning light came up like you next time i turned it on was gone, dealer also said nothing wrong but im driving 5hour on hol next so a bit worried 😟
pmarshall100

Post by pmarshall100 »

My yellow spanner warning light saga. Only comes on when doing about 70 on a motorway and not straight away. A week after the first time the garage had a look (and found no faults), the light came on again. Back to garage. They found a fault in the turbo and ordered a spare part. Said car was ok to drive. Few days later whilst waiting for part to arrive, yellow spanner back AND another warning light which did not go away and meant turbo not working properly. Back to garage who fitted spare part and ran tests. Said all was well. Few days later on a motorway, spanner light back on. Back to garage. Very cross with manager. Car back in for about a week for more analysis and tests. Lots of road tests to try and get spanner light back but failed to do so. Garage consulted FORD who suggested more tests. Hire car supplied. After about a week got Puma back. Wrote to garage saying that if spanner lights comes back on i will be giving the car back and asking for full refund as fault was there when car was purchased. Quoted relevant Consumer law. Since then I have done three short motorway trips involving going at 70 mph. No spanner so far!! Told it is OK to drive with this light on!!!! All such a shame as the car is great and want to keep it. But no confidence at the moment to do long trips. Hopefully confidence will come back. Sorry to have to tell you this but this is what has happened. I think the spanner light would have come on more often if I had been doing say motorway trips daily.
MarcWallace

Post by MarcWallace »

pmarshall100 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:49 am My yellow spanner warning light saga. Only comes on when doing about 70 on a motorway and not straight away. A week after the first time the garage had a look (and found no faults), the light came on again. Back to garage. They found a fault in the turbo and ordered a spare part. Said car was ok to drive. Few days later whilst waiting for part to arrive, yellow spanner back AND another warning light which did not go away and meant turbo not working properly. Back to garage who fitted spare part and ran tests. Said all was well. Few days later on a motorway, spanner light back on. Back to garage. Very cross with manager. Car back in for about a week for more analysis and tests. Lots of road tests to try and get spanner light back but failed to do so. Garage consulted FORD who suggested more tests. Hire car supplied. After about a week got Puma back. Wrote to garage saying that if spanner lights comes back on i will be giving the car back and asking for full refund as fault was there when car was purchased. Quoted relevant Consumer law. Since then I have done three short motorway trips involving going at 70 mph. No spanner so far!! Told it is OK to drive with this light on!!!! All such a shame as the car is great and want to keep it. But no confidence at the moment to do long trips. Hopefully confidence will come back. Sorry to have to tell you this but this is what has happened. I think the spanner light would have come on more often if I had been doing say motorway trips daily.
I had this on Friday last week,I’m taking mine into the dealers today to be looked at. Like yours on the restart, no spanner warning light. Will see how i get on
pmarshall100

Post by pmarshall100 »

Since my last post on this on the 10 July, the Puma has been fine. No yellow spanners!! However I have a back problem and can not drive for more than about 40 mins without getting serious leg pains. So have not been able to give the Puma a really long run. If your dealer struggles like mine, i suggest that they contact my Ford Dealer in Chorley, Lancashire. They tried lots and lots of tests, some suggested by FORD. I think even FORD central struggled with this. They also changed a particular part. So they may be able to help your dealer. Fingers crossed .........
Mike

Post by Mike »

Not defending Ford but once switched off/ on the systems are reset and if there are no fault codes logged the mechanics are going to struggle to find the issue, best thing if you are driving to the dealer with the light on is ring whilst on the way, keep the engine running when you get there and get them to plug their code reader in straight away which will give them an idea what is causing it.
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )