Paint defects

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

I've spent 4 hours on my post winter decontamination today. My frozen white is back to its gleaming best again.

Or so I thought, I had the clay bar on the car and the c pilar from half way down to the top of the fuel filler cap felt really rough. I cleaned off, got the torch on it and oh my, it's bad. Why haven't I noticed this before?

Rough to the touch, looks like really bad orange peel, either under the clear or under the white.

If any of you know a bit about paint then I'd like your thoughts. I don't think I'd have missed this on previous cleans, can paint defects develop over time or will it have been there from day 1?

VengasUK

Post by VengasUK »

I get the impression that the paint jobs on these is far from brilliant and so even if the paint has gone on well or looks well to the naked eye, the contact with the metal may be far from perfect and so over time this can lead to the issues you and many others have reported. I dont know about mine yet. I discovered it was built in February 2020 and they sold it to me over a year later although i did spot something about a centimetre what looks like there is something under the paint such as metal dust and it got sprayed. I will mention it next week.
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

Could you have possibly used a strong chemical (such as an acid based wheel cleaner) and left the cloth resting on the paintwork?

I can’t remember whether you said if you bought it new, if not it could have had a poor respray and not given a good enough cure time before the clear coat was added?
Magnetic ST Line X FE. HFPT, Panoramic roof, DAP, Fixed LED, 19” Alloys,
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Thanks gents. I'm pretty sure I'd have noticed this early on. Car was purchased brand new in Feb 20.

I'm pretty meticulous with my cleaning regime. So I think I can discount acids etc. This was my second full decontamination and I go over the car panel by panel so I can see what needs what.

I think it needs a refinish but I'll need this confirming. At least it should be easier as it's solid white.

So it's back to the dealer again.....
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

This might be handy for you if you're ever trying to identify issues.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 6351343362
Mike

Post by Mike »

Wdf76 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:33 pm This might be handy for you if you're ever trying to identify issues.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 6351343362
Interesting, I think we all suffer from orange peel.
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Managed to get a couple of pics this morning. Not the easiest of tasks, they don't show how bad it is.

PXL_20210322_095427937.jpg

PXL_20210322_095556467.jpg

Mike

Post by Mike »

how did you get on with the dealer ?

I think the paint on the Puma is generally pretty poor, i have a van with 50 k on has less stone chips than my 500 mile puma and i drive well back off everybody and avoid anything that might cause damage, no resistance to damage .
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Mike wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:00 pm how did you get on with the dealer ?

I think the paint on the Puma is generally pretty poor, i have a van with 50 k on has less stone chips than my 500 mile puma and i drive well back off everybody and avoid anything that might cause damage, no resistance to damage .
Work in progress pal. I'll keep you updated. It's blisters not orange peel.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Good luck, hopefully it can be easily rectified and no hassle from the dealer