New Etis software update showing "ACM"

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi, Another daft question , when i go onto the Etis site it asks me to register but wants me to choose between being a dealer etc , am i on the correct screen and which do i choose ?
I take it the log in details are different from my Ford site/app ones ?
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )

Chocky

Post by Chocky »

FirstFord1972 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:57 pm There must be an opportunity for a Ford technician you establish a business. I would be happy to pay a fee to keep the modules up to date. Car technology is growing at a rapid rate. It’s a waste of time talking to my local Ford dealer “sorry we don’t have WiFi”. As if.
Unless the car is exhibiting a problem, leave the thing alone and just drive and enjoy it. Why would you pay to have your modules flashed to the latest to fix nothing?
Deleted User 229

Post by Deleted User 229 »

Chocky wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:40 am
FirstFord1972 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:57 pm There must be an opportunity for a Ford technician you establish a business. I would be happy to pay a fee to keep the modules up to date. Car technology is growing at a rapid rate. It’s a waste of time talking to my local Ford dealer “sorry we don’t have WiFi”. As if.
Unless the car is exhibiting a problem, leave the thing alone and just drive and enjoy it. Why would you pay to have your modules flashed to the latest to fix nothing?

Why, because I'm rich and keep or replace all my devices and make sure they are up to date. If you don't want to keep your car up to date then that is your choice. That's the reason why. :D What you are saying is Ford are updating their software for no reason at all!
Chocky

Post by Chocky »

FirstFord1972 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:16 am What you are saying is Ford are updating their software for no reason at all!
The software gets updated to address problems for sure, but why pay to apply it if you aren't going to benefit from it. We all have different driving styles and so I might be causing something to trip that you're not. My car would have trouble codes and complaints which could be fixed, but unless you experience the same problems you're just wasting time, effort and money.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Chocky wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:40 am
FirstFord1972 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:16 am What you are saying is Ford are updating their software for no reason at all!
The software gets updated to address problems for sure, but why pay to apply it if you aren't going to benefit from it. We all have different driving styles and so I might be causing something to trip that you're not. My car would have trouble codes and complaints which could be fixed, but unless you experience the same problems you're just wasting time, effort and money.
Software updates should be part of any service.
As for Time effort and money being wasted....I don't think it's cost anyone yet, and there is little effort involved.
As has been said, Ford issue the updates for a reason, the ones that were done on mine were all safety related. We shouldn't have to find out on forums that there is an update pending.
Most people active on the forum care a little more about these things.
OTA updates have to be the way forward and can't come quick enough, the quicker the dealer is out of the equation the better.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
paulcurtis

Post by paulcurtis »

I am personally a fully paid-up member of the 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' club, having spent my working life in IT and living on the (b)leading edge.

If people want to go to the latest software level, fine. In fact, I thank them as they are the ones who will discover the glitches that were not found in Beta testing.

I'm happy to wait a while.
2020 Puma ST-Line X Vignale 1.0L Ecoboost 125PS 7 Speed Auto - Black
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

paulcurtis wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:31 am I am personally a fully paid-up member of the 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' club, having spent my working life in IT and living on the (b)leading edge.

If people want to go to the latest software level, fine. In fact, I thank them as they are the ones who will discover the glitches that were not found in Beta testing.

I'm happy to wait a while.
I see where you are coming from, however, if it was up to the dealers you would wait for ever.... ;)
My updates have all been because something had broke.....Traffic sign recognition being one of them.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Deleted User 229

Can you imagine a ransomware message on our Sync screens. As we are all connected the security updates are important. Let’s face it our VIN numbers are prominently displayed to the outside. It would help if Ford listed the change log and security updates so we could make informed decisions. The NHS and others are now wiser.
paulcurtis

Post by paulcurtis »

FirstFord1972 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:52 am Can you imagine a ransomware message on our Sync screens. As we are all connected the security updates are important. Let’s face it our VIN numbers are prominently displayed to the outside. It would help if Ford listed the change log and security updates so we could make informed decisions. The NHS and others are now wiser.
Sorry, you have lost me. Your personal data is kept on Ford's servers. One would hope that they adequately protect that data with up to date security. But that hasn't got anything to do with the base software that is installed in your car's system. I can't see how that could be hacked without someone physically plugging in a flash drive, and even if they did, it wouldn't be that difficult to restore, once detected. So there is no OTA entry point into the car's system, as far as I can tell? So how could a ransomware message appear? And if it did, there's no personal data it can encrypt?

I do agree with you that changes and fixes should be published.
2020 Puma ST-Line X Vignale 1.0L Ecoboost 125PS 7 Speed Auto - Black
Deleted User 229

paulcurtis wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:03 pm I can't see how that could be hacked without someone physically plugging in a flash drive.

I take it you have disabled your car’s modem :D