Noisy Brakes

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Can you see if one of your stone guards is bent and making contact. One of mine was a while back.

Deleted User 509

Post by Deleted User 509 »

My last car was a Mercedes and the squeaking brakes at times was damned annoying. (I used to fix it by water blasting the brakes when cleaning the car). My cars are always garaged and I never use the handbrake. My Puma has never had such noise problems, but if it does - out will come the water blaster. LOL
Mike

Post by Mike »

Wdf76 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:08 am Can you see if one of your stone guards is bent and making contact. One of mine was a while back.
No nothing like that unfortunately, definitely the discs/pads as they are only noisy when the pedal is pressed, more noticeable when light pressure and coming to a halt, washed it yesterday and took it out, got it out again this morning and SSSCCCHHH at the end of the drive dropped the wife off at work then braked hard a few times which has helped a little, will see after week off and it gets a few runs on it, if not wheels are coming off for a good luck and then it will go to the dealers .
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
Mike

Post by Mike »

Went to the dealer a couple of weeks ago, they looked at it and reported no faults and blamed the coating that is applied to the discs when new( I guess to stop rust whilst they are parked up for delivery) unless total dealer garbage and it should stop, the mechanic had taken for a spin and given the brakes a work out, noise is still there so will keep a check on it although the discs are starting to clean up a bit .
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Shouldn't the coating be removed by the dealer before delivery. Doesn't sound plausible but dealers do tell porkies when it suits.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Gives a blue tinge to the disc when a light is shone onto it, dealers aren’t my favourite but Evans Halshaw have been pretty on the ball sorting my issues out so far, will see if it improves over next few miles now that sport button is getting used a bit more.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Had the rear discs/ pads replaced and paid for by Ford, told to drive it 500 miles to see if noise goes ( garbage), just had an email saying that ford have had a couple( hundreds probably) with noisy/ sticking brakes ( mine are just noisy) and there is a fix which may or may not be covered by the warranty ( ?).
They are checking with the dealer to see exactly what they did as this work might already of been done and will let me know, if not then the dealer wants the car for a day to then speak with Ford technical who will tell them how to fix it,( another day off work) lots of cloak and dagger type secrecy, i could tell them change the front discs pads and all should be well. We will wait and see what happens, they are quieter but not silent, Yet.
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

Mine are still noisy most of the time. They do stop me though so I just turn up the radio.
Puma Frozen White ST Line X 155 Winter Pack & Driver Assistance Pack.
bramcl

Post by bramcl »

Mike - did you get feedback/ resolution to brake issue ? Apologies as you had asked me on my experiences last year, however I "lost" my log-in details, and hence missed the message.

I'm still where I was re the noise, despite various returns to two different garages. Both claim there is no issue, and during the last visit around 6 weeks ago, they stripped and cleaned the brakes but no difference as far as I can ascertain .....

Brad.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Ford paid for the rear brake discs/ pads to be changed, still noisy, dealer said run for 500 miles and they should be quiet after that which in all the years I have worked on cars/ plant etc never heard that.. They are still noisy and I can hear the noise just by rolling the car fwd/ back in my garage and is obviously from the front but allowed the dealer/ Ford to resolve.
Apparently there is another fix for some cars but Ford wouldn’t tell me what was involved but wanted the car to go back to the dealer and Ford technical would advise, it looks like mine has been done when in . Cannot make up my mind whether to take a day off and book it back in and then re book in when they decide what to do ( if Ford are willing to pay again) , put up with the noise or do it myself and maybe buy the parts from a motor factors and not use Ford ones. I will keep you informed .