Sshh. Deep Sleep.

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
BjNtheBear

Post by BjNtheBear »

Just checked with the Fluke, 12.32v engine off, so not too bad, (no error message on screen) will give it a wee run tomorrow 👍
Ford Puma ST Line X 155 Desert Island Blue

Chocky

Post by Chocky »

Got a current clamp for your Fluke?
BjNtheBear

Post by BjNtheBear »

Chocky wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:22 pm Got a current clamp for your Fluke?
Nope 😥 did you have something in mind? 🤔
BjNtheBear

Post by BjNtheBear »

Ok so I gave my rombat an hour's boost, took it from 12.2v (at rest) to 13.4v, took it for a spin around 10 miles, checked volt drop down to 12.1v, granted I never switched off the s/s, wipers were on intermittent but I didn't expect to see it drop down as much in a short period of time.
I'll try conditioning the rombat over the next week or so when I'm (on the bevvy😲😉) not using the car and see if that helps any👍
simesa

Post by simesa »

I’ve ordered a Noco Genius 5 to try and help charge my battery (12.1 v all the time at rest). There is a repair mode but it warns about it’s designed mainly for lead acid not really for the type Pumas have.

When people are mentioning conditioning batteries do you mean just leaving on charge for a while or are you using repair modes on chargers?

I’ve only done 3500 miles in 10 months so plan to give it occasional top ups during the winter even if I ever manage to get Ford to replace my battery (or for £120 just easier to fit a replacement)..
BjNtheBear

Post by BjNtheBear »

simesa wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:12 pm I’ve ordered a Noco Genius 5 to try and help charge my battery (12.1 v all the time at rest). There is a repair mode but it warns about it’s designed mainly for lead acid not really for the type Pumas have.

When people are mentioning conditioning batteries do you mean just leaving on charge for a while or are you using repair modes on chargers?

I’ve only done 3500 miles in 10 months so plan to give it occasional top ups during the winter even if I ever manage to get Ford to replace my battery (or for £120 just easier to fit a replacement)..
The Noco 5 gets a good write up you can't go wrong with that one, proper conditioning a battery would entail replacing the electrolyte, charging it up and carrying out load tests but smart charger like the one above have an intermittent boost function that keeps it tip top.
I've only done around 500 miles in mine so I'm pretty shocked in getting the Sshh message, defo seems to be down to the Rombats 😠
Chocky

Post by Chocky »

BjNtheBear wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:43 pm Nope 😥 did you have something in mind? 🤔
Measure the current into the 12 volt battery until it settles around 0. This would be fully charged. Then turn the car off and measure the 12 volt battery voltage with some loads on. See what you have.
Chocky

Post by Chocky »

simesa wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:12 pm There is a repair mode but it warns about it’s designed mainly for lead acid not really for the type Pumas have.
Puma is lead acid. The Battery Desulfator on your Noco5 is what you want.
BjNtheBear

Post by BjNtheBear »

Chocky wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:14 pm
simesa wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:12 pm There is a repair mode but it warns about it’s designed mainly for lead acid not really for the type Pumas have.
Puma is lead acid. The Battery Desulfator on your Noco5 is what you want.
That's the intermittent boost or pulse function I mentioned earlier post, to desulfate the battery you'll need to leave it on charge for at least 48 hours or more but I don't think that the plates would be that bad in the first place unless the Rombat factory are using recycled sh!t 😲😉
BjNtheBear

Post by BjNtheBear »

Chocky wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:10 pm
BjNtheBear wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:43 pm Nope 😥 did you have something in mind? 🤔
Measure the current into the 12 volt battery until it settles around 0. This would be fully charged. Then turn the car off and measure the 12 volt battery voltage with some loads on. See what you have.
You're a man with a plan Chocky, I'll raid my neighbours tool box and give it a try 😉👍