Sshh. Deep Sleep.

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

Hunbob wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:03 pm The latest update on the battery issue. I eventually persuaded ford customer service to refer to their technical department and they came back last week saying they have a software update that will resolve the problem. According to their email to the dealer, my car currently has the AB version of the software and updating to the AC version will solve the KOL problem. No idea what any of this means and neither does the dealer but it is booked in for a 45 minute update so we will see.

What I still haven’t had an answer on is whether all the error messages shutting down systems to protect the battery are referring to the 12v or 48v, it makes sense that it is the latter.
I think it’s definitely the 12v battery that’s the issue with shut downs. The 48v simply runs the hybrid and stop/start.

The interesting thing is that it’s not just the hybrids having this problem (another thread).
Puma Frozen White ST Line X 155 Winter Pack & Driver Assistance Pack.

Chocky

Post by Chocky »

Yes Stoopo correct. Shutdown messages are to protect the 12 volt battery. Not that it would happen but the car can start and run with a completely flat 48 volt battery.
studan

Post by studan »

Had puma (petrol only, not hybrid) for 4 months and for the last 3 days it's going into deep sleep after being used. Was advised by dealer to take it for a longer run to recharge battery. Well just done nearly 2 hour journey and car has gone into deep sleep - how long does dealer think I should drive! Booked onto dealer for investigation next week. Let's see what happens!
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Another dealer not worth their salt. Should name and shame them. Ford CRC need to get serious with this issue. Somebody on here mentioned a service bulletin or possible recall suggesting there is a fix available.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
KaasBaasZA

Post by KaasBaasZA »

Hi all,
I've been lurking in this thread for a while and thought I'd share my experience to hopefully benefit others.

The tl;dr of my story really is that if you're getting the "Sshh Your Ford is in deep sleep mode ..." message constantly (or more often than not popping up), swapping out the battery is the only real fix.

I bought my Puma (Ford Puma ST-Line X - no mHEV) last year. Everything was great, and I was happy with my purchase.
When the odometer hit ~4000 km my auto start/stop wouldn't active anymore. Didn't think too much of it to be honest; I'm not the biggest fan of it, but I'd still prefer it to work when it should out of principle.
Shortly after that I occasionally had the "Sshh deep sleep" message pop up on my phone and figured the battery was just not getting enough charge because of the short trips I was doing.

Then the messages would pretty much pop up as soon as I parked my car. Every single time. Regardless of trip length or duration.
I started searching around and came across this thread. And to be honest I was a disbeliever at first. I didn't want to believe that Ford would ship out cars, all with defective batteries.

My Puma got shipped out ROMBAT battery - see below:

romcrap.JPG

I tried everything to disprove the initial hypothesis that the battery was not holding charge. I even drove for about 50km ensuring nothing in the cabin could be drawing and bleeding off any charge from the battery. And I falsely reassured myself that something was indeed happening substantiated by the fact that when entering into the diagnostic mode (also described in this thread), the "ETM Battery" readout was 14.5 volts?
Surely that was a good thing?

diagnostic.JPG

But alas, that was not the case. It did help for probably a day, and then that dreaded notification would pop up on my phone again.

I finally had enough and got in contact with my dealer.
They advised they would have to keep the car overnight to do a trickle charge and also perform some additional diagnostics.
In my initial encounter with the service adviser, I was quite straight to the point that my belief was that the battery was faulty.
He kind of dodged my statement and concluded that he would get to the bottom of what was going on by doing a whole bunch of in-depth testing (sure buddy).

The next day, I picked up my car, and the battery was swapped out for the VARTA - see below:

new_varta.JPG

And everything thereafter was fixed. Auto stop-start works again. No notifications.
The fishy thing for me was how little convincing I really actually had to do. It seemed a little too easy.
This tells me that Ford is definitely aware that something is going on, which I think was quite well established in this thread anyway.

Quite disappointed with the fact that Ford would cut corners like this, and not do a recall.
However, the point of me sharing my experience is to not let your dealer try and coax you into believing something different any wasting your time. Swap out the defective ROMBAT.
alanp

Post by alanp »

Mines going in on Saturday, and this is one of the problems they are going to look at, I also have the dash rattle which they are hopefully, going to fix, regarding this, the dealer seemed overly helpful in wanting to fix this, even when we told them we thought we had fixed it by emptying the glovebox, they still wanted to look at it and agreed there was a rattle, I’m wondering if they are avoiding a potential recall for these faults and telling the dealers to fix these faults if the customer reports any, they are going to do a battery conditioning whilst they have it, I think others have had that done with mixed results.I’ll see how mine goes ….
St line x 1st edition, it has nearly everything
Hunbob

Post by Hunbob »

Mine has just been in for a week. Ford were suppose to be sending a field engineer but he didn’t turn up instead the dealer had to work remotely with engineers, I think possibly in cologne. After doing more tests they discover that the amperage of the battery was low so guess what, they changed the battery AGAIN! Unbelievable that a new car is now on its third battery, never had replacement battery in any new car previously. The battery has been sent back to cologne for checking and my car is now being monitored by ford technical. The battery they replaced this time was a varta so not just rombat issue.

As I expected everything is now working fine again, no system shutdown messages exactly the same as when they replaced the original rombat January last year. It will be interesting to see what the charge is on this new battery when it goes in for full service in July. I don’t believe they have got to the bottom of the problem yet but at least they seem to be taking it more seriously
Duncraig

Post by Duncraig »

Well I got a VARTA in place of Rombat in early 2021 which cured Deep Sleep. It's now returned. First sign is the tailgate "kick" failing, then the passenger door keyless touch fails, then the "System has been shut to conserve battery" and Finally "The vehicle has entered Deep Sleep" I did a 200+ mile return journey in daylight and the ETM Battery monitor was at 14.8 to 15.0V. After 15 minutes I unlocked the car and ETM Battery monitor was at 11.8V. Something serious. It's going in for two days in April to get the steering clunk when parking repaired so we'll see what happens then As an aside with Sync 3.4 I can't get the user Maintenance screen to come up, the one when you press skip right on both the panel and the wheel.
Mike

Post by Mike »

got the message mid way through a 200 mile drive to say my car was shutting off various functions to save the battery - or something like that.
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

Mike wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:55 pm got the message mid way through a 200 mile drive to say my car was shutting off various functions to save the battery - or something like that.
Never seen that! It’s a worry getting that message during a drive.
Puma Frozen White ST Line X 155 Winter Pack & Driver Assistance Pack.