Hill Start assist

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
Dave H

Post by Dave H »

Hi there i found the hill start assist not working on checking the manual it tells you you can turn it on and off in the settings, well there is no setting on mine to turn it on or off , the Dealer said it is on by default and it was working.

But i dont really think he understood what i was telling Him so here is what is not working.

bring your car to a stop on a hill hold it on the foot brake and clutch right down, the car will auto turn the engine off then when your ready to go take your foot off the brake which starts the engine and turns the hill start assist off, Hence the car rolls it shouldn't it should hold for a couple of seconds ,

I had to go in the car with them from the dealership and tell him what to do he then said its not working i told you he tried it several times , he then went into the show room asked one of the sales men to borrow his car he asked what for on him telling him he also said my car does that to .

ford have know said this fault is with a lot of pumas but because they have a fault on the ford Kuga that this will have to wait, Im well disgusted with ford .
When i told them this is a safety feature on the car it should be priority he said i agree with you, but that is ford for you.

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

It can't be turned off /on for the Mild Hybrid version of the engine....Read the manual again.
"SWITCHING HILL START ASSIST ON AND OFF - MANUAL TRANSMISSION, VEHICLES WITH: 12.3 INCH INSTRUMENT CLUSTER DISPLAY SCREEN, EXCLUDING: MILD HYBRID ELECTRIC VEHICLE (MHEV)"
It is on by default in these vehicles AFAIK.
I don't think anyone else on here has reported trouble with it, so the dealer was blowing smoke up your proverbial....

Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

The key word here is assist.... Don't confuse the system with auto hold. It's not designed to work that way.

There needs to be a reasonable incline and you need to be firm on the foot brake. You'll get a few seconds hold at best. If your car is hybrid the starter generator acts as a brake too hence why the system cannot be switched off.

It does have its limitations and I have been caught out a couple of times

If you're waiting to go at a junction for example you're better off using the old fashioned hand brake.

Note* the engine starts when you select 1st gear not when you take your foot off the brake pedal.

So, clutch dipped and foot on brake. Select 1st, engine starts, release foot brake puma should momentarily hold whilst you go from brake to accelerator. I've just been experimenting.