Instrument Cluster Intermittent Fault

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
Willisthm

Post by Willisthm »

Brand new member with a brand new ST Line X.
Driven it 18 miles and after each start up the instrument cluster goes blank for 10 seconds then comes back on again.
Also have had the warning come on that he front seat passenger seat belt isn't fastened despite no one sitting on the seat and no bag etc on it.

Anyone got any ideas other than a trip to the dealer.

Thanks.

Great forum by the way

robgee

Post by robgee »

Sounds like a loose connection somewhere , reckon its a trip to the dealer i am afraid
Ford Puma 125 ST-Line X FIRST EDITION Desert Island Blue (previous)
Ford Puma 155 ST-Line X Blazer Blue (current)
Willisthm

Post by Willisthm »

Worrying thing is it only happens on initial start up within a couple of minutes of getting going.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Willisthm wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:41 am Worrying thing is it only happens on initial start up within a couple of minutes of getting going.
Problem is it could become worse if not diagnosed early....As robgee says, a trip to the dealer won't hurt.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
paulv

Post by paulv »

firstly let me agree, best have a trip to dealer. now can I have a little rant about visiting dealers (and obviously tell me if it's just me, it usually is :) )

trips to dealers do hurt - a little - and btw I do understand (especially after now putting them in writing) the following issues are small, meagre, trifling, insignificant, negligible, inadequate, insufficient, scant, scanty, derisory, pitiful, pitiable, pathetic, miserable, sorry, wretched, puny and trivial :)
1. its a 50 minute drive there and back to my dealer (enjoyable though in the Puma)
2. you can't park in a dealership nowadays - I haven't been able to find a parking space anytime in the last three years I've needed to go - I resorted to parking in the shopping centre car park nearby when i went to the last dealership
3. the wait - I have to wait as I can't get back home, and there is nowhere to go near the dealership - i was stuck watching sky news in the waiting area for 2 hours last week, too scared to touch the remote to change channel due to Covid, so saw the same news items 27 times...
4. not had it so far with Puma, but with previous cars I have endured the 2 hour wait only to be told they can't identify the problem

rant over :)
FORD PUMA ST-LINE X VIGNALE 1.0L ECOBOOST 125PS 7 SPEED AUTOMATIC - LUCID RED
long name... nice car :D
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Problem is, they are all owned by a handful of large groups. So the people working there are target driven and not interested in the actual customer, once the car is sold.
I've not had the parking problem to date. Getting past the service reception to a 'Technician' is usually the first hurdle, followed by a chat with someone who's not really up to date.
Yes, they are always in a remote area, mine is only about 4 miles away, but there is nothing around it worth looking at and it's just far enough away to not warrant a walk home.
Unfortunate by-product of purchasing a new car.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

paulv wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:50 pm firstly let me agree, best have a trip to dealer. now can I have a little rant about visiting dealers (and obviously tell me if it's just me, it usually is :) )

trips to dealers do hurt - a little - and btw I do understand (especially after now putting them in writing) the following issues are small, meagre, trifling, insignificant, negligible, inadequate, insufficient, scant, scanty, derisory, pitiful, pitiable, pathetic, miserable, sorry, wretched, puny and trivial :)
1. its a 50 minute drive there and back to my dealer (enjoyable though in the Puma)
2. you can't park in a dealership nowadays - I haven't been able to find a parking space anytime in the last three years I've needed to go - I resorted to parking in the shopping centre car park nearby when i went to the last dealership
3. the wait - I have to wait as I can't get back home, and there is nowhere to go near the dealership - i was stuck watching sky news in the waiting area for 2 hours last week, too scared to touch the remote to change channel due to Covid, so saw the same news items 27 times...
4. not had it so far with Puma, but with previous cars I have endured the 2 hour wait only to be told they can't identify the problem

rant over :)
That post is outstanding, made me laugh, I can only sympathise if it helps. Good to get things off your chest isn't it?

I haven't been anywhere near my dealer for pretty much all of the reasons you stated. You can't even hammer the nonexistent frothy coffee machine anymore. I have some issues with my car that could be recrified (not major), however, I've decided to live with anything other than a management light or brake down.

I simply can't be 'arsed' going anywhere near the place or anywhere else to be honest. I'm now in tier 3 and have battened down the hatches. 🙄
Chocky

Post by Chocky »

Check at night. When it goes blank do the headlights go off too?
Willisthm

Post by Willisthm »

Well its off to the dealer and Bristol Street Ford Durham, they informed it will be with them a while due to the amount of work they have on. Thats disappointing.

The service desk guy said that he had never heard of that fault before.

The lights stay on when the instrument cluster goes off. Its happening more frequent now. Hopefully reinstall the software and it will be sorted.
Willisthm

Post by Willisthm »

Further update. Car still with dealer and the fault hasn't been diagnosed. Its now with Ford UK to identify the fix. No guarantee that it will get sorted.

Very disappointing considering its brand new.