Sync software update !!!

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
LittlePuma

Post by LittlePuma »

Hi folks. What about using the hot spot connection of a smartphone? Has anyone ever tried it before?
Would it work?
Could be a little slower than a common WiFi connection I suppose, but being in a emergency it may be a solution.

Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Guys it is apparent to me that a lot of you are not getting the .XML file?
Are you carrying out the process correctly?
Once Sync update (3.4-22110) is complete "DO NOT remove your USB drive"
You must switch your engine off get out and recycle the "lock car process" basically lock your car fully, wait a couple of minutes then unlock your car jump in and start the engine. Only then will the log file be created.
You will find the .xml Log file within the "Sync my Ride" folder at the bottom.
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

LittlePuma wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:41 pm Hi folks. What about using the hot spot connection of a smartphone? Has anyone ever tried it before?
Would it work?
Could be a little slower than a common WiFi connection I suppose, but being in a emergency it may be a solution.
God no! The last thing you need is an unstable and slow connection. Hot spots are never as good as a "direct" and stable connection.
Better still would be to hard wire from your house, if only I hear you say.
You would be wasting your time and worse run the risk of a corrupted install.
LittlePuma

Post by LittlePuma »

Thank you.
In my case I got it regularly from the sync update, not from the map update yet, because I need a longer trip to make the update procedure properly.
With a usb stick and the engine off alone is of course a nightmare and a potential waste of time.
If files were smaller, that could be possible, not with a 22/23 GB file size, not knowing the real background kind of installation schedule applied by the Sync system and software.
Ford should've thought a different way for this kind of updates, maybe dividing them in chunks, ie: States maps by your own choice, then the others as optional, my 2 cents.

Edit: maps update completed and XML file uploaded to the ford server too :o
End of the charade :lol:
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

LittlePuma wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:12 pm Thank you.
In my case I got it regularly from the sync update, not from the map update yet, because I need a longer trip to make the update procedure properly.
With a usb stick and the engine off alone is of course a nightmare and a potential waste of time.
If files were smaller, that could be possible, not with a 22/23 GB file size, not knowing the real background kind of installation schedule applied by the Sync system and software.
Ford should've thought a different way for this kind of updates, maybe dividing them in chunks, ie: States maps by your own choice, then the others as optional, my 2 cents.

Edit: maps update completed and XML file uploaded to the ford server too :o
End of the charade :lol:
Yes in smaller chunks. That would be the way to go for sure and yes being able to select maps of your choice. What a good idea is that.
I honestly don't understand Ford's thinking (maybe their not) having to drive around for hours just to update software is madness. To say nothing of the environment, waste of people's time, waste of liquid gold (fuel) and worse unnecessary pollution.
BjNtheBear

Post by BjNtheBear »

Just updated the maps, part one finished and requested the key cycle while I was still driving on motorway so obviously couldn't pull over to facilitate, it then started the update again automatically after restarting while I'm driving (so did part one twice) I think peeps believe that there are two parts to the map update, that's true but the second part is writing to your flash drive, all in if you're free to pull over safely and do a key cycle it should only take about an hour and twenty minutes to complete (including 10 minutes to write to usb drive)👍
Ford Puma ST Line X 155 Desert Island Blue
Pawprint66

Post by Pawprint66 »

Car has done everything OTA with confirmation etc.
Just checked on my account and now there is another 8.6GB update showing on the webpage.
2020 Puma ST - Line X First Edition - 125 mHEV - Race Red - (Released back into the wild)
2023 Puma ST - Frozen White - Driver Assistance Pack & Powered Tailgate - Machined Magnetite Wheels
Deleted User 905

Post by Deleted User 905 »

Pawprint66 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:13 pm Car has done everything OTA with confirmation etc.
Just checked on my account and now there is another 8.6GB update showing on the webpage.

I suspect that is bad news :oops: If both Sync & Maps have updated cleanly you should be seeing.

21CA2C7F-5601-4011-80CA-131D9D4CBBD1.jpeg

Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Pawprint66 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:13 pm Car has done everything OTA with confirmation etc.
If I recall that's the 8.6Gb map update that was showing best part of a year, in error, ignore it. I would suggest and sorry to say this your maps are not updated to F11. In fact I would go as far to say that you need to check on screen your current Sync version. I suspect it isn't 3.4-22110
which you must have before you can install F11 maps.
Pawprint66

Post by Pawprint66 »

Rays1 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:24 pm
If I recall that's the 8.6Gb map update that was showing best part of a year, in error, ignore it. I would suggest and sorry to say this your maps are not updated to F11. In fact I would go as far to say that you need to check on screen your current Sync version. I suspect it isn't 3.4-22110
which you must have before you can install F11 maps.
I'll have another look. But the Sync is deffo 3.4-22110. I did it about 4 days ago via USB, hence why I got the map update.

IMG_6258.jpeg

IMG_6257.jpeg

2020 Puma ST - Line X First Edition - 125 mHEV - Race Red - (Released back into the wild)
2023 Puma ST - Frozen White - Driver Assistance Pack & Powered Tailgate - Machined Magnetite Wheels