Sync software update !!!

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
Puma1959

Post by Puma1959 »

Just decided to do the map update. Car has been running now for 2 hours 10 mins and still says updating software.

Edit. Gave up after 3 hours. Map version showing as F10. But screen is saying redownload software and try again error 005.
Ford Puma 1.0 St Line X Vignale Lucid Red.

Smartin

Post by Smartin »

On the subject of map updates, is there any difference in the installation process, if the updates are done via Wi-Fi rather than usb stick?

I downloaded the Sync update to a usb stick and installed that whilst on a recent 20 minute drive but there is no way the car is going on a 1-2 hour trip to install the map update in one go. I have seen other threads where it has been mentioned that interrupting the installation of the map update caused problems but is it only a problem if the usb is removed? In other words, if you were to leave the USB stick in and just did several shorter journeys over the course of a week (or two) rather than one long one, would it still install correctly or not work like that?

Would that behave differently if it was connected via Wi-fi instead or does that only alter the way that the car gets hold of the update files and the actual installation still takes the 1-2 hours once it has all been downloaded?
Deleted User 361

Post by Deleted User 361 »

Can’t answer on the USB side of things but my WiFi update seems to be downloading and installing file by file

I assume this as it shows I’m on F10 maps etc. But is still downloading files that are on the USB stick version
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Leaving the USB stick in made no difference in mine.....It still screwed up with Error001.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Smartin

Post by Smartin »

Sounds like Wi-fi option is better for cars that don't go on long trips if it downloads and installs smaller files one by one rather than it trying to do everything in one big hit. I guess it can only do the downloading bit whilst the car is parked up at home and connected, though, so bet it still takes a while even if it is done file by file
Smartin

Post by Smartin »

Sparks wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:09 pm Leaving the USB stick in made no difference in mine.....It still screwed up with Error001.
Seeing as it is my Dad's car, I don't think I'll try that, then :-)

thanks
Deleted User 361

Post by Deleted User 361 »

Smartin wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:21 pm Sounds like Wi-fi option is better for cars that don't go on long trips if it downloads and installs smaller files one by one rather than it trying to do everything in one big hit. I guess it can only do the downloading bit whilst the car is parked up at home and connected, though, so bet it still takes a while even if it is done file by file
Some of the files are 2gb to 3gb in size which takes a long long time to download and will only download when in range of WiFi and ignition on (but does continue for 30 minutes after ignition off, battery charge permitting). It carries on where it left off though.

Neither option is ideal for low usage tbh
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

There must be many Puma owners who don't use the forum or the Ford website so they will be unaware of any updates and the problems that go with them.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Smartin

Post by Smartin »

Ignorance is bliss :-)
Omen

Post by Omen »

I was offered the F10 maps update via USB but I wasn't going to bother with the faff because I use Android Auto. However, I see it has now updated by itself OTA with no effort from me required. It's good to see that updates like this are happening automatically.