Parcel Shelf Hooks Snapped

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Redders wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:41 am Mine has snapped off too. Bad design by Ford. Going to try superglue; if it doesn't hold, will take back to dealer.
I'd take it back before trying the superglue....Don't give the dealer another excuse to say no... ;)
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.

paulv

Post by paulv »

i've taken to not using the parcel shelf or the boot floor at all for many months now, and have not found any issues with that. I much prefer it that way as the megabox is used constantly, and the parcel shelf - well i just don't notice its not there...
FORD PUMA ST-LINE X VIGNALE 1.0L ECOBOOST 125PS 7 SPEED AUTOMATIC - LUCID RED
long name... nice car :D
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Sparks is right. Also when you come to sell it would need to be fixed.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

Am I right in thinking that all of these posts referring to the “parcel shelf” are actually talking about the flexible cover that sits where an old fashioned parcel shelf used to sit?

If so, I think that’s where the problem lies in that it’s a cover and not really designed to take any weight.
Magnetic ST Line X FE. HFPT, Panoramic roof, DAP, Fixed LED, 19” Alloys,
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

I experienced a similar issue with my Puma.
Went out to the car one day and found the parcel shelf hanging down. I couldn't understand why until I saw the shelf hook had broken.

Initially, I tried to find the part so that I could replace it, but the car was fairly new and along with COVID issues, parts were not readily available, so I superglued it, but there is very little surface area for the glue to connect with the plastic.
I got it to stick, but I knew that if I ever removed the shelf it would break away.

However, today was the car's first service, so I flagged it up to the dealer.

Later that day, they called me to say the service was completed, and they could fix the parcel shelf, which would cost just under £100 to replace!! :roll:
They either think some customers are mugs, or they took no notice of what I said or even looked at the issue.

Anyway, to cut a long story, they agreed it was a defect and are going to replace it under warranty.

Incidentally, today was the first time I had looked at the affected part since I glued it, and it looks like the glue has contaminated the plastic!

B800AE1C-5592-4569-9D90-458F64FF59A9.jpeg

2022 Ford Puma ST
EggsNBacon

Post by EggsNBacon »

Do the current Puma builds have a parcel shelf? I currently have a boot with no cover to it, so the wife's wheelchair is viewable in the boot. Not something I noticed before purchasing. The Ford website seems to say there is an adaptive parcel shelf that lifts and closes with the tailgate. But certainly not got that with mine Just the megabox and flooring to cover it?
Ford Puma ST-LINE MHEV 1.0L EcoBoost 125PS mHEV Petrol - Agate Black
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

EggsNBacon wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:02 am Do the current Puma builds have a parcel shelf? I currently have a boot with no cover to it, so the wife's wheelchair is viewable in the boot. Not something I noticed before purchasing. The Ford website seems to say there is an adaptive parcel shelf that lifts and closes with the tailgate. But certainly not got that with mine Just the megabox and flooring to cover it?
Yes, they all come with a flexible cover for the rear. Seems a trip to your dealer is needed, you've been short changed.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
SteveGP

Post by SteveGP »

I have a new hook but how do I remove the lower inner plastic trim to the boot lid to access it? I have unscrewed the two screws in the trim handles and can pop off the clips around the bottom edge but can unclip the trim where it joins the hooks midway up the sides? Is it just a bit of brut force? or are there some more hidden screws of clips? I dont want to break the trim and have more expense to replace. Thanks for any help or pictures.
Hunbob

Post by Hunbob »

Same happened to me when I opened the boot during one of our gales last year. My wife initially tried to super glue but I don’t recommend as when we finally stumped up for replacement it stopped the new ones from fitting right. They are a stupid design, held on by a screw but you have to take off all the back trim to access it. Cost us just short of £100 to replace them and one is still loose because of the supper glue stopping it from bedding down.
SK001

Post by SK001 »

One of my hooks has just snapped. It really is time that Ford offered a stronger fitting, and one that is easier to replace.