New puma died

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
Doodle

Post by Doodle »

Chocky wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:25 pm
Wdf76 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:01 am That would mean an alternator/generator fault? Neither the 48v or 12v systems were charging
We can't tell. All we know is the hybrid system broke and the 12 volt battery was no longer being charged. It seems it might have recovered when the "engine on for charging battery" message came, but failed again the next morning and this time flattened the battery completely.

Fingers crossed it's now fixed for you Doodle :D
Chocky,
Lets hope so...

Paddington

Post by Paddington »

I came across this forum having googled '2020 Ford Puma Died', which also happened to me a couple of days ago. Fortunately I was only at the local shops, rather than on my daily commute, however it failed to start. Ford Assist advised that it could be an alternator fault as the battery was getting no charge. It's now back with Ford who have advised it won't be looked at before 28th! (2 weeks time). It's an ST Line 1st edition with 750 miles on the clock. I'm not enjoying my very basic courtesy car either :roll:
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Won't be looked at until the 28th......?!

Thats not acceptable.
Chocky

Post by Chocky »

Did you get the charge system service now message? Did you ignore the message and keep the motor running until it died? If the 12V battery is dead and dealer is not looking at it for two weeks demand they fit a new one before you collect it again.
Pumanic

Post by Pumanic »

Hi

I have a 12 month old puma St line x first edition with less than 3500 miles. Since Feb I have had an issue with the battery not charging. Ford app telling me every trip it is preserving the battery and shutting down features.

1st visit to the dealer "you don't drive it enough. You need to accelerate and brake harder" tried that and found more features shutting down.

Contacted dealer, they couldn't see it for 3 weeks so contacted Ford. Taken in same day. Had the car 3 days. Found software faults in pcm and telemetry module. Corrected these and released my car.

6 days later the car was back at the dealer (arranged by ford). This was last Thursday. No contact until today when Ford chased it then the dealer ran tests on my vehicle and said they were waiting a response from Ford. Seemed cagey and j had to push fir what they've found and was told "something about voltages"

Any one have any idea what could be happening and what my rights are?
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Someone else had trouble similar to this and it was determined that the battery needed changing (There has been problems with the Rombat 12v batteries). However, the dealer wouldn't change it until Ford had OK'd it as they didn't want to carry the cost.
Yours may have a different problem. The Dealers comment about it not being run enough is rubbish, I've been given that one as the cause for 'Deep sleep mode' activating. They just say it because they have no idea and won't accept that the batteries are faulty.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
PaulD

Post by PaulD »

Paddington wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:07 am I came across this forum having googled '2020 Ford Puma Died', which also happened to me a couple of days ago. Fortunately I was only at the local shops, rather than on my daily commute, however it failed to start. Ford Assist advised that it could be an alternator fault as the battery was getting no charge. It's now back with Ford who have advised it won't be looked at before 28th! (2 weeks time). It's an ST Line 1st edition with 750 miles on the clock. I'm not enjoying my very basic courtesy car either :roll:
You don't have to accept the long wait (i would't) , atleast they have to provide you with a courtesy car that is equal to yours.
Ford Puma St-Line X first edition full options
..... Desert Island Blue.....
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

PaulD wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:41 am You don't have to accept the long wait (i would't) , atleast they have to provide you with a courtesy car that is equal to yours.
Over here you're lucky to get a courtesy car. I would question the wait, that's excessive, you can't be expected to go without your car for that long without good reason, I would question that.
Chocky

Post by Chocky »

Pumanic wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:42 pm Since Feb I have had an issue with the battery not charging.
Could be a mhev charging fault. Do you get the "charge system service now" message?
Pumanic

Post by Pumanic »

@chocky

No I don't but the battery isn't retaining charge. Ford charged it. 20 miles later it was going to deep sleep again
Last edited by Pumanic on Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.