Manual restart required

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Odd one yesterday. Negotiating a big Island with traffic lights between exits. Puma flashes an amber warning saying manual restart required.

Car was stopped on red light and start/stop green light activated.

Had to shut the car down and restart just like if you'd stalled.

PaulD

Post by PaulD »

It happend to me one time , i stalled the engine (was in the wrong gear)
Ford Puma St-Line X first edition full options
..... Desert Island Blue.....
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Definitely hadn't stalled. Was coasting to a stop, clutch dipped, green light stop on dash. Warning flashed when I came to a halt.
Spearmint

Post by Spearmint »

Had similar where I had to fully depress the clutch for the engine to restart as it dropped out while braking
Mazda MX-30
First Edition
Ceramic
Chocky

Post by Chocky »

The hybrid Puma has two starter motors, a 12 volt and a 48 volt. The 12 volt is for first engine starts. The 48 volt is used for stop/start. What you describe sounds like the 48 volt went faulty as you stopped at the lights, requiring the 12 volt starter to restart the engine. Has it happened again?
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Chocky wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:52 am The hybrid Puma has two starter motors, a 12 volt and a 48 volt. The 12 volt is for first engine starts. The 48 volt is used for stop/start. What you describe sounds like the 48 volt went faulty as you stopped at the lights, requiring the 12 volt starter to restart the engine. Has it happened again?
No, just that one time, alhough I have set the start stop setting to low speed. I found that the engine was too keen to shut down when slowing and changing down for major to minor turns etc, at the higher speed settings.
Doodle

Post by Doodle »

Wdf76 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:34 am
Chocky wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:52 am The hybrid Puma has two starter motors, a 12 volt and a 48 volt. The 12 volt is for first engine starts. The 48 volt is used for stop/start. What you describe sounds like the 48 volt went faulty as you stopped at the lights, requiring the 12 volt starter to restart the engine. Has it happened again?
No, just that one time, alhough I have set the start stop setting to low speed. I found that the engine was too keen to shut down when slowing and changing down for major to minor turns etc, at the higher speed settings.
Interesting fault.
Out of curiousity what does that setting do. I cannot find a mention that describes what each of the low, medium and high setting does ?
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Chocky wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:52 am
Interesting fault.
Out of curiousity what does that setting do. I cannot find a mention that describes what each of the low, medium and high setting does ?
I believe it's simply the speed at which the car is travelling for the engine to stop.

I found that at high speed setting the engine would shut down between 12-15 mph when coasting to a stop.

I found the engine was too keen to stop when slowing for junctions and then there would be a bit of a jolt when starting after gear selection to turn in.

It's my understanding that start/stop systems are anti emissions devices not for fuel saving?
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Wdf76 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:15 am
Chocky wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:52 am
Interesting fault.
I believe it's simply the speed at which the car is travelling for the engine to stop.

I found that at high speed setting the engine would shut down between 12-15 mph when coasting to a stop.

I found the engine was too keen to stop when slowing for junctions and then there would be a bit of a jolt when starting after gear selection to turn in.

It's my understanding that start/stop systems are anti emissions devices not for fuel saving?
Probably both, you are going to save fuel when the engine is not running, especially when stuck in traffic.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Chocky

Post by Chocky »

The system is designed to help reduce fuel consumption and CO2 emissions by stopping the engine when it is idling, for example at traffic lights or when your vehicle is coasting at a speed less than the engine stop speed that you have set. See Setting the Engine Stop Speed. The system is designed to stop the engine when the transmission is in gear or in neutral.
https://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford ... Market=GBR