Manual restart required

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

Dragging up an old thread here.

This happened to me today towards the end of giving the car a good run as it had sat for a few weeks.

Threshold speed set to low, came to a set of lights, stopped, handbrake on and in neutral. Engine stopped as per expectations but on putting into gear and lifting the clutch, nothing.

Restarted and no warning lights. Had another 15min journey back home without issue.

Hopefully just one off.
Magnetic ST Line X FE. HFPT, Panoramic roof, DAP, Fixed LED, 19” Alloys,

Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

System brainfart. Still catches me out now and again, especially when coasting with a dipped clutch, bit of a driving no no. 😁

I generally leave it in gear rolling all the way towards the traffic lights until the regen stops when your speed is low enough, then knock in to neutral or dip the clutch and at this point engine stops.

There's another theory (mine) that you may not have had enough energy in your 48v system to restart and the 12v system was needed.
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

I never coast or ride the clutch. As you say, stay in gear until there’s a need to engage the clutch. Depending on when people learned to drive, some people were taught to use the gears to aid slowing down, others not.

I hadn’t had any issues leading up to that. I’d have thought if the 48v battery was low in power it would have done this early on in the drive not towards the end.
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

I'm always doing it at junctions esp.

Braking, steering, getting a gear all at the same time..... Not very IAM 😂
Last edited by Wdf76 on Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

Not forgetting to play with the touch screen at the same time too 😆
alanp

Post by alanp »

Mine does this nearly every time I come home, my garage is located at the rear of the house, the drive to it is very short, ( just a bit longer than the Puma) as I coast slowly up to the garage door, as it’s opening ( automatic) , the car is stopped, foot off clutch, I dip the clutch and engage first, then the message pops up, so I have to put into neutral and the car starts as normal, but so far, it’s the only situation where this happens..
St line x 1st edition, it has nearly everything
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

NeilS wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:15 pm Not forgetting to play with the touch screen at the same time too 😆
Not quite that bad.... Honest
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

Popped to Gates this morning to get my OBD cover. Only a 10 min drive there and back, with a 5 minute turnaround from handing over my keys to it being fitted. No signs of any faults so I’m hoping it’s a one off.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Fingers crossed,
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
Chocky

Post by Chocky »

Mention the message to the dealer and how unexpected it was. I bet there is a service action for it by now.