Dash cam

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
microbe

Post by microbe »

Stevep999 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:23 pm I emailed the app developers recently as I heard that at present it only records events, not all the time. Their reply was that ability is coming in a future app update. Although I love how it looks I've stuck with my Nextbase at the moment purely for that reason.
I wonder by what they mean by events. I must admit that I only got video and still pictures when I pressed the appropriate buttons. I thought cameras were supposed to record all the time they were on, overwriting the oldest when the SD card was full.

I wonder if other apps could do a better job.

My dealer has not responded to my emails today so my positivity towards them has fallen. I will do more testing before I contact them again

I have just done a little looking and this is an extract from the Ford site describing the camera

Fits neatly into the rear-view mirror zone of the windscreen without obstructing the driver's view. Integrates with the Ford SYNC 3 screen and/or voice control. Recorded data will be saved automatically on an SD card in case of an accident, including parking bump protection. The wide-angle camera captures incidents around the vehicle. Also provides geographic data, e.g. coordinates and speed.

Quite how it knows you are about to have an accident I do not know.

If that is the case then it is a complete waste of money. I thought cameras were supposed to be recording all the time.

I will have to see if I can get my money back.
Puma ST-Line X 1.0L Ecoboost 125PS 7 Speed Auto - Desert Island Blue 2021

Deleted User 361

Post by Deleted User 361 »

The camera keeps a 1 minute buffer, so when it detects an impact (or you give the big button a press, which is an event) it saves the previous 1 minute and the following 1, 3 or 5 minutes (whichever you’ve selected in the camera app settings)

It definitely isn’t a “full feature” system, but I like the fact it’s discrete
Stevep999

Post by Stevep999 »

This was there reply

Screenshot_20201212-172556.png

Full fat ST in Magnetic, DAP, Performance pack, panorama & tailgate :-) - ordered end of March delivered end of May LOVE IT

PUMA ST-X Plus First Edition Plus in Agate Black with comfort pack :-) retired June 2022
microbe

Post by microbe »

tonyt2021 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:24 pm The camera keeps a 1 minute buffer, so when it detects an impact (or you give the big button a press, which is an event) it saves the previous 1 minute and the following 1, 3 or 5 minutes (whichever you’ve selected in the camera app settings)

It definitely isn’t a “full feature” system, but I like the fact it’s discrete
Ah now it is begining to make sense. In my ignorance I thought it would be like the one I had in my Porsche which was recording all of the time in a loop fashion. I did not know (and it was not explained to me at handover) just how the camera worked and I interpreted the web site description wrongly.

I also went for the Ford camera as it was discrete so I will be keeping it. I just need to have it remounted again to remove the mirror housing intrusion.
Deleted User 361

There are some settings where it doesn’t save the previous 1 minute, so need to make sure that isn’t selected
Deleted User 361

The iOS app was updated this morning and a new firmware for the dash cam

Have just updated and it now has a continuous recording option (on by default)

Once I've taken it for a drive next I'll take a look at what's there...
robgee

Post by robgee »

tonyt2021 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:27 am The iOS app was updated this morning and a new firmware for the dash cam

Have just updated and it now has a continuous recording option (on by default)

Once I've taken it for a drive next I'll take a look at what's there...
Good stuff , seems like another work in progress product by Ford :lol:
Ford Puma 125 ST-Line X FIRST EDITION Desert Island Blue (previous)
Ford Puma 155 ST-Line X Blazer Blue (current)
microbe

Post by microbe »

The Android version has also updated. I have just updated the app on my phone and will take it out to the car and connect to the camera to see what differences there are
microbe

Post by microbe »

I have just tested the updated app and it appears to be giving me continuous recording. The app had to update the sync 3 installation but once completed I had the option of continuous recording. I switched it on and my phone told me it was recording. We are going out shortly so I will give it a real test.
microbe

Post by microbe »

Success :D I have just returned from my drive and the camera has recorded it in short MP4 clips.

Well done to Ford and the app writer for addressing this shortcoming relatively quickly.

The camera is still expensive but functions as it should and provides a very good quality film. There is a problem with dashboard reflection in the windscreen which seems more accentuated in the camera but still provides a good enough video which has time, speed and location all showing.