noise and vibrations

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
Luca

Post by Luca »

Hello,

at 2200-2300rpm, in 3,4,5&6 gear, without pushing hard, I feel a bad vibration, like a "low rpm" in a diesel engine, I'm gonna check it this afternoon at the ford service.

Second issue: there's a really bad scratchy vibration sound (like plastic vs metal) at low revs (but I'm not under torque) I can clearly hear when the windows are open, I'm supposing a clutch issue, I'm gonna check this too.
The car is astonishing to look at, everyone turns to look, but the scratchy sound is embarassing... I know it's a little 1.0 blender, but it shoudn't have a rattling squirrel in it :?

Third =D, in each test I've seen on youtube, they talk about an impressive gearbox, but mine feels just "ok", just to explain: my old fiat bravo one, with 240k km was better, so there could be something with it too? Let's see =.=

I hope I can get answers and fixes for these issues, maybe it's all related to the clutch...

Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Hope you get this fixed. Keep us updated.

Ciaođź‘Ť
alanp

Post by alanp »

Regarding the gearbox, my fiesta had the six speed box and it was awful, I bought it new and it was brilliant, smooth and precise, I had it back to the garage but they couldn’t/ wouldn’t get too involved, nothing wrong they said,
Now my pumas gearbox, is nothing special, I get what you mean by ok, it’s not as bad as my previous fiestas, but I wouldn’t call it smooth, a bit clunky, but not too bad, it’s got a couple of thousand miles on ( as it was a demo) , so I would think it’s run in by now, will have to see how it develops over time
St line x 1st edition, it has nearly everything
Jiipee

Post by Jiipee »

alanp wrote: ↑Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:09 pm Regarding the gearbox, my fiesta had the six speed box and it was awful, I bought it new and it was brilliant, smooth and precise, I had it back to the garage but they couldn’t/ wouldn’t get too involved, nothing wrong they said,
Now my pumas gearbox, is nothing special, I get what you mean by ok, it’s not as bad as my previous fiestas, but I wouldn’t call it smooth, a bit clunky, but not too bad, it’s got a couple of thousand miles on ( as it was a demo) , so I would think it’s run in by now, will have to see how it develops over time
I think the reason why reviewers like the gearbox is because it's precise and has a satisfying mechanical feel to it.
bazzer

Post by bazzer »

I have found similar to Luca's problem but at lower revs, really does sound like a diesal. Gear change a bit hit & miss if trying to quick change sometimes.
Regret getting rid of Mondeo now! Was an Ex demo car with 2k on clock
Frozen white ST-Line X Hybrid 1st edition
Iainrr55

Post by Iainrr55 »

I've noticed a similar issue. If I follow the gear change indication on the dash display when I change up I almost always get a low throbbing vibration. Sounds more like a body resonance vibration than the engine. Means as a Londoner with lots of 20mph zones I can't get out of 3rd gear...
Titanium First Edition 125 -> 155 mhev
----- Lucid Red ------
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

It doesn't really like to lug. The engine that is. I've been keeping the engine around 2500rpms for shifting. I've started to ignore the wltp upshift arrow. I have also run a few tanks of super- unleaded. Could be placebo but it feels a lot smoother at lower revs.
Iainrr55

Post by Iainrr55 »

Yes, I can avoid the to throbbing if I keep at 2000+ rpm. But this is massively different from my 2018 Focus with same engine!
Titanium First Edition 125 -> 155 mhev
----- Lucid Red ------
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Must be something to do with the mhev set up then?
Paul R

Post by Paul R »

I find on my 155 st line x I have give it a bit more revs to pull away smothly than I did with my st2 Fiesta.