Auto start stop in sport mode

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
Pumanic

Post by Pumanic »

I asked the Ford technician about this yesterday whilst at the Dealers. It is for a more responsive engine - when the car is in stop mode the battery is being being used which will then need replenishing.

cianpars

Post by cianpars »

Pumanic wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:32 am I asked the Ford technician about this yesterday whilst at the Dealers. It is for a more responsive engine - when the car is in stop mode the battery is being being used which will then need replenishing.
That's pretty much it. Sport mode prioritises the 48 volt battery to regen and covert the energy to the electric motor to provide more acceleration, whereas eco mode uses the energy to cut the motor for longer when stationary. Normal mode gives you a bit of both.

I use normal mode most of the time, sport mode when I feel like having a bit of fun and slip into eco mode when I am cruising along the motorway. Others will use it differently, I guess.

I do find I can get into a higher gear earlier when using sport mode.
Deleted User 702

Post by Deleted User 702 »

Have you noticed any difference in fuel consumption when in Eco Mode? I haven't. I also find it dangerous if I need to suddenly accelerate quickly it just doesn't respond.
Pumanic

Post by Pumanic »

I never use ecomode. I like sport on the motorway for quick action. So many other drivers have mirrors and indicators which don't work haha
Deleted User 702

@Pumanic. Yep that's my point exactly. Personally I too would always use Sport mode on a Motorway for that very reason. Asleep at the wheel moseying along on a Motorway is not a good look in my opinion!
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Engine mode doesn't matter appropriate gear does.
Deleted User 702

On a Motorway one is most likely to be in top gear most of the time. Should a "situation" (something not planned, an emergency) arise where a bit of quick acceleration is prudent then I prefer the engine to respond as quickly as possible with minimum throttle travel. Clearly should the "situation" allow, then a gear change to an "appropriate gear" would also be in order. But that's just me, I like to be in control rather than the car. Which is why I would never use semi autonomous Driving aids. Again just my preference.
cianpars

Post by cianpars »

JFDIT wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:30 am Have you noticed any difference in fuel consumption when in Eco Mode? I haven't. I also find it dangerous if I need to suddenly accelerate quickly it just doesn't respond.
I intend to keep tha car in sport mode for a few journeys to see how it affects MPG but not got around to it yet. The car feels so much better in sport mode, but I have no real idea yet how that will impact on consumption. So far, I've only used sport mode for short periods.

I suspect that normal mode is going to be a good compromise, but also want to see what the impact is is of running in sport mode with stop start switched on.
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

I did all this last year. There's a thread way back. The difference between engine modes with regards fuel usage is negligible. 1 or 2 mpg either way, as mpg isn't linear it really makes little difference to call consumption.

Can't say I've ever been in a position on a motorway where sudden acceleration was the only response. In traffic I'm in 5th tops, good to go.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Eco Mode is more about emissions than MPG which is also the reason for stop start. It's a shame they disabled the ability to just keep it in 'Sport' mode when turning the car off.
Still muscle memory is now kicking in a quick three jabs at the fun button sorts things out. I've done the same trip in 'Normal' and 'Eco' modes as a test early in ownership and got the same MPG. I rarely use 'Eco', maybe occasionally on a long cruise but never anywhere else. Short local runs are usually in Normal mode, all else 'Sport'. I also turn off Stop start in 'Normal'...
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.