Traffic Sign Recognition

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma

How well does your Puma detect speed signs?

Poll ended at Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:35 pm

90% > Can't fault it
No votes
75% Works well enough
42%
50% Expected better
42%
25% Is it the signs maybe?
17%
< 10% Is it working?
No votes

Total votes: 12

Spearmint

Post by Spearmint »

Back from Ford today and they couldn't fault the speed sign recognition, problem was the demonstrator they loaned me was also terrible at picking up speed signs. So with that, just want to gather a little info about how reliable the system is, whilst I concur that the manual does say it shouldn't be relied on, compared to our Ford Kuga, it's very unreliable. So if you could just just take part in the poll so when I go back to Ford, I can let them know if it's a Puma fault.
Mazda MX-30
First Edition
Ceramic

gsd0475

Post by gsd0475 »

Mine seems to work OK when it's light. As soon as it goes dark it picks up basically nothing. I'm putting this down to the led lights as they don't light up the signs at all.
Puma ST Line X FE 155 (March 1st)
Spearmint

Post by Spearmint »

gsd0475 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:17 am Mine seems to work OK when it's light. As soon as it goes dark it picks up basically nothing. I'm putting this down to the led lights as they don't light up the signs at all.
I’ll have to try the same road in the dark, all my miss hits were in nice sunny weather. Problem is, I don’t have this problem with the Kuga
Mazda MX-30
First Edition
Ceramic
gsd0475

Post by gsd0475 »

Spearmint wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:58 pm
gsd0475 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:17 am Mine seems to work OK when it's light. As soon as it goes dark it picks up basically nothing. I'm putting this down to the led lights as they don't light up the signs at all.
I’ll have to try the same road in the dark, all my miss hits were in nice sunny weather. Problem is, I don’t have this problem with the Kuga
I'm starting to think it may be a ford pass issue. Drove about 200 miles today. First half of the journey I used android auto and it didn't pick up a single sign. Second half I used sync and it picked up every sign even a grubby old national speed limit sign that you could hardly see
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

So you think it's using data and your position rather than the camera and recognition software to detect signs?
gsd0475

Post by gsd0475 »

Wdf76 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:00 pm So you think it's using data and your position rather than the camera and recognition software to detect signs?
It might be a mixture of both or just coincidence 🤷‍♀️
JackTheLad87

Post by JackTheLad87 »

I find mine works better in the dark. There is one extremely annoying point on the M25 C/W between J7/8 where it picks up a 50 sign somehow when there isn’t one and because I use intelligent cruise slows the car right down even in the outer lane, so I have to cancel it and get back up to speed again
Jack. 32. South East London. Ford Puma ST Line X First Edition: Desert Island Blue.
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

That's a good shout jack. Backs up gsd's claim that perhaps some speed info is taken from data not the tsr camera. If you use that same stretch of M25 again perhaps you could switch off live traffic and hazard reporting and see how that affects your speed signs.
Last edited by Wdf76 on Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spearmint

Post by Spearmint »

Wdf76 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:20 pm That's a good shout jack. Backs up gsd's claim that perhaps some speed info is taken from data not the tsr camera. Is you use that same stretch of M25 again perhaps you could switch off live traffic and hazard reporting and see how that affects your speed signs.
I suppose the real test on the M25 would be the variable speed limits?
Mazda MX-30
First Edition
Ceramic
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

So having had chance to do a bit of research tonight it seems tsr has been a bit hit and miss for years. Those of you coming from other ford models may be aware of this but, it's all new to me.

From reading old posts on other forums it would seem that speed signs are generated from both camera and sat nav data. One possibly conflicting the other and giving inaccurate results. This is claimed in the manual alongside poor weather conditions, frosty screen etc. It doesn't appear possible to switch off input from nav or vice versa.

Our sat navs should be bang up to date, but not for long and it remains to be seen if ford have sorted the update process for sync 3 and WiFi

I for one will not be using intelligent cruise control at anytime. Just in case like Jack, the car stands on it's brakes for an old 50mph limit when I'm in lane 3.

Keep washing your ✋'s and be well