Traffic Sign Recognition

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma

How well does your Puma detect speed signs?

Poll ended at Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:35 pm

90% > Can't fault it
No votes
75% Works well enough
42%
50% Expected better
42%
25% Is it the signs maybe?
17%
< 10% Is it working?
No votes

Total votes: 12

Spearmint

Post by Spearmint »

Wdf76 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:45 pm I for one will not be using intelligent cruise control at anytime. Just in case like Jack, the car stands on it's brakes for an old 50mph limit when I'm in lane 3.

Keep washing your ✋'s and be well
It would be so great if it worked with variable speed limits. Don’t really fancy venturing up to the M25 to test it. What about temporary speed signs?
Mazda MX-30
First Edition
Ceramic

JackTheLad87

Post by JackTheLad87 »

Spearmint wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:04 pm
Wdf76 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:20 pm That's a good shout jack. Backs up gsd's claim that perhaps some speed info is taken from data not the tsr camera. Is you use that same stretch of M25 again perhaps you could switch off live traffic and hazard reporting and see how that affects your speed signs.
I suppose the real test on the M25 would be the variable speed limits?

It works perfectly with the variable speed limit signs on the M25, I suppose it’s because they’re big and bright
Jack. 32. South East London. Ford Puma ST Line X First Edition: Desert Island Blue.
pgc53

Post by pgc53 »

Bought a new Puma at the end of January and noticed traffic sign recognition was unreliable. Car been in dealers today for new camera fitting but still not working correctly.
Has anyone else had this problem and been able to get it to work accurately.
Spearmint

Post by Spearmint »

I’ve had 1 run on the M25, didn’t have any problems then, but still misses quite a few speeds around town.
Mazda MX-30
First Edition
Ceramic
PaulD

Post by PaulD »

Mine works fine really , it even picks up temporary signs.

Maybe the signs are better readable here in the Netherlands .
Last edited by PaulD on Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ford Puma St-Line X first edition full options
..... Desert Island Blue.....
alanp

Post by alanp »

Was going to post on this, mines weird
Going to work in the morning I put the limit on which is set for 3 mph over the set limit, it works fine for a bit, I live in a 20 mph limit, traffic sign reads 20 , then I go into a 30 zone and it still reads 30 , ok so far, as I drive in the 30 I pass a street which has a 20 limit, one of the signs is slightly twisted and the camera picks this up and shows a 20 sign on the dash, but not every time, if it hasn’t picked this up I can still drive at 30, but as I head towards the dual carriageway, which is a 40 then 70 it doesn’t always pick any of these signs up, and still limits it to 30, ( or 20 if it’s seen the mis- aligned sign) and I have to cancel, it flashes 30 for most of my journey even though I pass more 40 and 30 signs, eventually it will sort itself out , but on my way home it works perfectly, it picks up every sign and the appropriate limit, not sure if I should go back and get it looked at, it’s going to be fun in the future when all cars have these things fitted and you are unable to turn them off..
St line x 1st edition, it has nearly everything
pgc53

Post by pgc53 »

Been on phone to Ford today and they say they know of the problem and there is a software update to rectify the problem. I am due to book the Puma in again for the update. Will have to wait and see if it works.
Ford Puma 2022 ST Line vignale 155 Agate Black
alanp

Post by alanp »

That’s worth knowing, will have to book mine in..
St line x 1st edition, it has nearly everything
pgc53

Post by pgc53 »

Took my puma in on thursday for a software update for the speed sign recognition problem and it seems to have cured it. All speed signs seem to register as I pass them now.
Shame I had to get in touch with ford to find out about the problem instead of someone contacting me to tell me there was an update.
Really happy with car now.
Ford Puma 2022 ST Line vignale 155 Agate Black
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Did the update include or change anything else?