New Puma ST, whistle on start up

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
FP2022F1T

Post by FP2022F1T »

Hi

Not sure if my brand new ST is normal or not, 360 miles on clock not sure if been there from start or not

When starting the car from cold or it’s been parked for awhile I have noticed a whistling noise sometimes prominant (with window down) from under the bonnet.

This seems to happen in the low revs 1-2k with car parked and when reversing or manoeuvring etc, the whistle seems to go when I’ve travelled and the car has gotten warm

Any ideas is it the car sucking air in or normal sound for the turbo etc not had a turbo before

Emailed local dealership where purchased to book it in for inspection, after next week as going away In it next week

Car drives perfectly no issues at all love it just this whistle, and of course this morning didn't do it which is exactly what will happen when I take it in.
ST Performance Grey Matter (Performance Pack / Drivers Assistance Pack / Dark Wheels & Power Tailgate)

Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Record the whistle and present to the dealer. Turbo's can whistle, not sure if it's a problem though.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
FP2022F1T

Post by FP2022F1T »

Rizmo wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:53 am Record the whistle and present to the dealer. Turbo's can whistle, not sure if it's a problem though.
Thanks

The whistle goes after a short journey, will try to record it but didn't do it this morning typical

Dealership have booked it in for Monday Am 👍 as I'm going north for a week
Will sit and wait and describe to tech if its not doing it, they said they'd inspect the pipes etc incase of a loose pipe etc as well
ST Performance Grey Matter (Performance Pack / Drivers Assistance Pack / Dark Wheels & Power Tailgate)
FP2022F1T

Post by FP2022F1T »

So managed to record a video of it doing it at lunchtime

https://youtube.com/shorts/8W-0W4EfaWU?feature=share
Mike

Post by Mike »

sounds like a turbo whistle, would have thought an air leak would be there all the time regardless of eng temp.
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
FP2022F1T

Post by FP2022F1T »

Mike wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:42 pm sounds like a turbo whistle, would have thought an air leak would be there all the time regardless of eng temp.
Cheers

It is louder than video but yeah if it is turbo whistle then no biggy guess it warms up and quiets down might improve as the engine gets some more miles on it
I'll post back what dealership says as well
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Sounds good it me, induction whistle at raised revs when stating up.. plus you must appreciate it is a three cyl engine and they all sound different to norm.
You should hear it with a mountune induction kit.... lovely.
FP2022F1T

Post by FP2022F1T »

Rays1 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:28 pm Sounds good it me, induction whistle at raised revs when stating up.. plus you must appreciate it is a three cyl engine and they all sound different to norm.
You should hear it with a mountune induction kit.... lovely.
Thanks Rays1, figured it might be.

I like how the 3 cyl engines sound a lot, worth dealership having a look though to confirm

Done 360 miles in a week 😂 been enjoying the car a lot and being careful so she runs in 750-1000 miles
chris47

Post by chris47 »

3 cylinders have a cadence like an electric sewing machine. Its an interesting sound, but can be quite sporty. The Yaris GR sounds very nice.
FP2022F1T

Post by FP2022F1T »

chris47 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:57 am 3 cylinders have a cadence like an electric sewing machine. Its an interesting sound, but can be quite sporty. The Yaris GR sounds very nice.
I have a MK8 fiesta as well naturally aspirated and do.not get the noise at all runs lovely,apart from recent thermostat replacement, so it as suggested is to do with the turbo side of things which is fine after dealership checks it over, new car and all, and the help on this forum is much appreciated to settle the mind :D 👍

The Fiesta gets around 53 mpg the ST gets 41-42 which isn’t bad and when run in be interesting to see, but not bought ST for mpg it’s to put a smile on my face that I lost when I sold my MG awhile back