emergency call system malfunction

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
Deleted User 1393

Post by Deleted User 1393 »

Im hoping it being software will mean a fix is quicker. The last recall was hardware so they needed to actually send out parts and fit them.

matthen

Post by matthen »

chrism75 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:57 am Im hoping it being software will mean a fix is quicker. The last recall was hardware so they needed to actually send out parts and fit them.
The recall on the ST was an inspection - didn't even have to plug the car in, and it still delayed loads of orders by weeks.

Just saying - don't get your hopes up.
Puma ST (Performance Pack) in Mean Green
Deleted User 1393

Wasnt that quite an involved process though? We will see Monday I guess, if there is no news Im out. At this point Ford dont deserve my business.
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

A visual inspection on the Puma ST took weeks and they knew how to fix the problem. Not so with this latest malfunction. Ford not noted for resolving issues quickly.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Deleted User 1393

Ive read that thread, seems like once the recall was actually announced it was fixed in days, the issue was that they spent ages actually deciding on a recall, and likely didnt want to do it until they had parts, which isnt the case here. I guess Ill find out.

From what I can tell the dealer handling the leases is Lookers of Sheffield, anyone know how good they are with this sort of thing?
AMS1969

Post by AMS1969 »

Ford must be on dodgy ground as it’s a legal requirement on all new cars to have this SOS button and they know that there are a number of 2022 cars driving around without it working, so I imagine they are throwing everything at it to get the fix…
Deleted User 1393

Im wondering how this happens. The only thing I can think of is that its a new part, and the firmware just isn't working correctly. If it was just a dodgy new firmware then an old one would work fine in theory, it has to be a different part to the older cars, that seemingly work fine.

If the part hasn't changed then the old firmware should work. The worry is if they cant fix it with software, then we are looking at a much longer delay.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Could be caused by a bad batch of chips, they may be sourcing them from somewhere different in desperation.
Whatever the reason, Ford should know that being completely honest is far better than not giving a complete reason for the fault/delays. Customers still wouldn't be happy, but, at least Ford couldn't be accused of dishonesty or a cover up.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Deleted User 1393

Possibly. Modems arent really an issue right now, they are fairly generic devices, the semi-conductor problem is more about proprietary ICs, because often only one factory makes them. Mobile devices aren't in short supply at all, in fact supply is greater than demand right now, Apple for example over produced.

I just want a time scale so I can make a decision. I could switch cars today, meaning I have to wait another 3 to 4 weeks, but then Ford could issue a fix tomorrow. Switching cars also carries other risks. I kind of wish I hadn't looked at alternatives, because there are some tempting alternatives available.
AMS1969

Post by AMS1969 »

I just called ford as mine was due in Wednesday and pointless if no fix. Upshot is they are still looking at it and no fix as yet so not taking the car in. , I asked if it will be something we have to take the car back for and they didn’t know. The service dept made it sound like a software issue but not sure they know yet. If it is software then should be a bit quicker to resolve? (I’m guessing as I can only just about turn on and off a computer!)