Rear Left Outer Light / Lamp Concealed Unit Removal? L1TB-13405-AC

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
kirkyuk

Post by kirkyuk »

I'm trying to replace the rear left outer light concealed unit L1TB-13405-AC. I'm just stuck on one minor part. So far I've pulled back the side carpet wall and unscrewed the main locking screw but I'm stuck on how to remove the clipped in section near the petrol tank? It appears to have a bull joint locked into a plastic nut inside the vehicle. Without forcing it apart from the outside is there any way I can release the plastic nut inside to remove the light?

My issue...

puma1.jpg

The bull joint I'm trying to disconnect from the plastic nut inside the Puma...

puma2.jpg

Close-up of plastic connecting nut inside the puma...

puma3.jpg

View from outside the car with light unit attached that needs to be disconnected...

puma4.jpg

Ford Puma ST Line X (First Edition) 155 Desert Island Blue

BjNtheBear

Post by BjNtheBear »

It looks like you could try and push the bottom of the plastic retaining clip in and it might release the top of the clip from the shoulder of the male pin? worth a try?
Ford Puma ST Line X 155 Desert Island Blue
kirkyuk

Post by kirkyuk »

I've been trying to push in the two retaining clips close to the metal body hoping it will release the top but it just won't budge? I've even tried holding together with with pliers.
Sagalout

Post by Sagalout »

Looks like the two clips need opening not closing. It appears to me that when the unit is assembled, it is pushed in and the two clips go under the head of the ball preventing it from coming out, a one way fitting if you will. It maybe sacrificial and replaced when fitting a new light unit. I'm probably wrong though.
Puma ST-Line, 155ps, Agate Black, Parking pack, Rear privacy glass, Diamondbrite Premium pack.
Ordered 28th January 2022
BjNtheBear

Post by BjNtheBear »

Would it be possible to get a small screwdriver into the topside of the plastic clip and pull the clip out of the metal pins shoulder trying at the same time to gently pull the unit straight out?
Sagalout

Post by Sagalout »

Can you push the assembly in so that the ball comes out the top, then snip the ball off, should come out then.
Puma ST-Line, 155ps, Agate Black, Parking pack, Rear privacy glass, Diamondbrite Premium pack.
Alan321

Post by Alan321 »

Those ball and socket clips look similar to the ones used on the inner rear lights (on the boot lid). The ball pops out of the socket by gentry prising/prying. Have a read through the reverse light bulbs thread which mention them…

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=663
kirkyuk

Post by kirkyuk »

I have tried everyones ideas so far with no luck so far. I can squeeze one side of the clip but I can't get to the other side as my hand is already twisted around the car frame to try and get to the clip on one side. I can cut the clip off but I don't have a replacement and I have no idea where I would buy a similar clip?
Sagalout

Post by Sagalout »

Getting desperate now, the manual only refers to the twist lock. However, last resort, raid the sewing basket, get two good needles, insert one either side of the clips and open the clips whilst pulling the light fitting out. We're all trying, wishing you the best of luck !!
BjNtheBear

Post by BjNtheBear »

One other idea you could try and put some silicon spray or WD40 on the clip give it 5 mins and then try giving the unit a straight gentle pull, might be enough to get it free.