Modem and battery issues

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
WizeSquirrel

Post by WizeSquirrel »

Heyo!

I recently took ownership of a 1 year old (Reg Feb 2021) Puma ST. I like driving the car and its looks, however, I’ve encountered a few issues with it…

As soon as I took the keys, I tried activating the car in the FordPass. Didn’t work. Called Ford and they ran some test and said the modem had to be reset.

A few days ago the start/stop stopped working (although not giving me the yellow warning, just the grey one), and now the passenger door keyless sensor isn’t working. I’m suspecting the battery is also knackered.

The car was in the show room and the battery was flat. They recharged it before I took the car. Now I’m not sure if either the battery has been sulfated for seatings with a flat battery for too long, or if the BMS wasn’t reset after they recharged it…

It’s booked to get the Modem reset, update the whole software system, check the start/stop, they passenger side keyless and the battery voltage. I took ownership of the car less than a month ago…

Anyone has any tips on how to deal with this? If the battery isn’t holding any charge, how easy would it be to force them to fit a VARTA battery?

Thank you all in advance!

Btw it’s Arnold Clark servicing, so I’m not expecting a lot :(

BjNtheBear

Post by BjNtheBear »

Sorry to hear you've had so much bother early on, I'm sure someone posted how to reset the battery management system but can't remember, something along the lines of pressing the brake pedal three times and flashing your lights three times but not sure what order, hopefully someone will come along and give you the right procedure but before you do that if you have a smart charger I would try giving it a boost, hope they get it sorted for you, I got the remote features disabled notification two weeks after taking delivery from new, quite a few peeps have had issues but this is a great forum to get help/assist with problems, oh and welcome too👍
Ford Puma ST Line X 155 Desert Island Blue
WizeSquirrel

Post by WizeSquirrel »

Thank you for the reply, I just want Ford to monitor the battery to make sure it’s not actually ruined while it was left flat for so long.

I still love the car, very practical for me and fun to drive!
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

The battery has three years warranty. Keep checking in the Technical Service Menu - TSM (is that the correct term?). Take pictures of it early morning after it’s been sat overnight. Then switch the engine on and see what it’s charging at.

Thry put me a Varta on after I kept on at them.
Puma Frozen White ST Line X 155 Winter Pack & Driver Assistance Pack.
Chocky

Post by Chocky »

You can't 'force' the dealer to fit a new battery. You need to present with a problem, such as start/stop not working, and allow them to fix it. You might be lucky and they swap it first time, or it might take a few trips. You can ask they test the battery with the midtronics tester, but it'll probably pass. You could ask what the state of charge history for the battery looks like, which might actually get them to take a look and see how crap it is.