Excessive number of wheel balance weights?

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I've just noticed that one of the rear wheels on my new ST Line X has what I believe to be an excessive amount of wheel/tyre balance weights on it.

There is a single strip of 12 weights on the inside of the rim, just behind the spokes. This strip is about 9 inches long!!. I'm not sure if there are any more weights on this wheel as I only noticed them due to the way the car was parked and they appeared at the bottom of the wheel. I haven't checked the other wheels as yet.

Tyres fitted are the 'shallow depth' Continental EcoContact 6, 215/50 R18 96V XL's which have recently been under discussion.

Do you guys think that this is normal as I don't think I've ever had this amount of weights on a wheel before. If so, hopefully it is the balance of the tyre and not a dodgy wheel. There is no vibration that I can feel.

Cheers
Puma ST-Line X 155 | Manual | Grey Matter | Driver Assistance Pack | Winter Pack | Power Tailgate | Spare Wheel

Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

I had this in my last Focus. The tyre fitter said my wheel was buckled and had to put loads of weights on to balance the wheel. It passed the MOT and a few months later it was still not fully balanced.

So I took it to a wheel refurbishment place and they tested the wheel to see if it needed sorting. It turned out it was a warped Avon tyre and he suggested I take it back to ATS. In the end he rebalanced the wheel after laughing at how many weights were on it. I think he used a third of what ATS had put on and the balance was just as good.

He showed me the wheel rotating and it was obvious it was the tyre and not the wheel.

ATS said they would change the tyre but I had to buy a new one first then hope that Avon owned up to the dodgy one and refunded me. I told them to stuff it.
Puma Frozen White ST Line X 155 Winter Pack & Driver Assistance Pack.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Hi Stoopo thanks for your reply, sounds like I could have a similar problem that's probably more likely to be a badly manufactured tyre as the car is brand new and hopefully shouldn't have a buckled wheel. I'll have to pop it back to the dealer and see what they have to say.
Puma ST-Line X 155 | Manual | Grey Matter | Driver Assistance Pack | Winter Pack | Power Tailgate | Spare Wheel
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

Get them to put it in the rotating balance wheel and ask them to see it rotating slowly. It was obvious that it was the tyre on my Focus.

Having said all that I noticed yesterday when cleaning the wheels that my rear o/s has quite a few weights on it. Maybe 5 but nowhere near 12. That seems excessive.

I’ve no balance issues so it doesn’t really bother me.
Puma Frozen White ST Line X 155 Winter Pack & Driver Assistance Pack.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Ok, thanks Stoopo, I'll get them to have a look next time I'm passing.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Have had it before with tyres, do you get any strange tyre noise from that wheel.
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Hi Mike, I haven’t noticed anything unusual but I’ll turn the radio off and have a listen next time I’m out.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

*UPDATE*

I booked the car into Ford yesterday to have the wheel looked at and they called me in to the workshop so I could see the wheel on the balancer.

The wheel and tyre are running perfectly true so there isn't any issue there. There were 13, 5 gram weights in the strip and the technician told me it would actually need 1 more weight to balance it perfectly. The technician also said it wasn't unusual to have this amount of weight to balance a wheel.

In the end he took the strip of weights off and re-balanced the wheel using slightly larger weights and thereby making the strip a lot shorter and not so much in your face. He also positioned the weights further towards the inside of the wheel so that they aren't so visible through the spokes. The Ford factory probably should have done this in the first place instead of using a long length of small weights.

So all is ok.
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Vantage, sounds like you have a reliable dealer so maybe you should name them. It's good to hear dealers being praised when many are not.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Hi Rizmo, dealer is Evans Halshaw, Darlington.

This was my first visit to the Service Department and I was pleased with the way that they dealt with the situation so hopefully they will deal with any other future servicing or issues in the same manner.