New Owners Check Tyre Depth.

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

There has been some concern on the forum that Continental are supplying ford with tyres that have a reduced tread depth.
Before checking with Continental I need to know from a few new owners what they got on their new Pumas.
Thanks in advance.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.

Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

My tread depth is around 5.5mm. Already sent an email to Ford CRC for an explanation. Will report back in due course.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Rogerio

Post by Rogerio »

Should be collecting mine next week, once its here will dig the tyre depth gauge out and let you know
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Rizmo wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:49 am My tread depth is around 5.5mm. Already sent an email to Ford CRC for an explanation. Will report back in due course.
Thanks Rizmo....As soon as I get a few more reports I'll try Continental, coming at it from both sides should get some answers somewhere. :D
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Rogerio wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:16 pm Should be collecting mine next week, once its here will dig the tyre depth gauge out and let you know
Thanks that'll help.
Pops's Puma

Post by Pops's Puma »

Sparks wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:16 am There has been some concern on the forum that Continental are supplying ford with tyres that have a reduced tread depth.
Before checking with Continental I need to know from a few new owners what they got on their new Pumas.
Thanks in advance.
Quick internet check says tyres typically are 8mm but some including continental are now 7mm often. Defo not 5.5 though - given continental suggest changing at 3mm, thats not much rubber
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Hi Sparks, I'm new to the forum but have been looking at it ever since I ordered my Puma last September. My car arrived at the dealer last Saturday 19/2/22 and I went and looked at the car last week prior to collecting it next Tuesday on 1st March. Having seen the thread about tyre depth on the Continental's I queried this with the salesman and he measured the depth of each tyre at around 5.5 mm which isn't good and does show that Continental are indeed supplying Ford with reduced depth tyres. The salesman had no answer to this other than perhaps the tyres might be a harder compound, possible but unlikely and it seems crazy that Ford would cut corners like this and that Continental would gear up to do it as Continental's reputation is on the line here.

Not intending to hijack this thread but just to outline some of the threads that have appeared about spec changes. The car has no scuff plates but I managed to get some genuine Ford ones at a good price and the dealer will fit for free. There are no sports pedals but again, I managed to get genuine Ford ones cheap but he will not fit so will fit myself and discussed that there would be no warranty problems. Biggest surprise is that it has rear discs even though I was told it wouldn't, possibly because it is a 155 or perhaps I was just lucky, who knows.
Puma ST-Line X 155 | Manual | Grey Matter | Driver Assistance Pack | Winter Pack | Power Tailgate | Spare Wheel
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Thanks for that, I'll query it with Continental. I just needed confirmation from a couple of new deliveries.
Re the discs, I believe it's because you have the 155 and they are still putting discs all round on those...

Edit....Question sent to Continental.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

No problem. Yes, rear discs is probably because it is a 155.

It'll be interesting to see what Continental have to say, thanks for looking into it.
Puma ST-Line X 155 | Manual | Grey Matter | Driver Assistance Pack | Winter Pack | Power Tailgate | Spare Wheel
pompeydave

Post by pompeydave »

Hi Sparks sorry was hoping to reply earlier , car 5 weeks old now 2022 st-line X 125 and yes same as others 5-6 ml tread all round.
I’ve only done 240 miles so double checked and all as above tread.
My car i p/ex was a 71 seat Ibiza FR and that had near 8 ml on all tyres so def something going on with Ford.
As most of us have 18” size so far might be worth checking with 17” owners to see if they have the same issue.
2022 St-Line X 125 desert island blue