New Owners Check Tyre Depth.

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Picked up my Puma ST Line X today and the tyres are Continental EcoContact 6, 215/50 R18 96V XL (Extra Load), dates are 34th week of 2021 but I can't see a Dot Code. Depths taken with a non-digital gauge are just on 6 mm.

Hope this helps.
Puma ST-Line X 155 | Manual | Grey Matter | Driver Assistance Pack | Winter Pack | Power Tailgate | Spare Wheel

Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

So on average Continental 18" tyres are around 5 to 5.5ml an Goodyear 17" are around 8ml. It's been a week since I emailed Ford CRC, no response so far.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Mike

Post by Mike »

It’s like they are fitting part worns, owners are loosing approx 1/4 of new tyre depth , only approx 4 mm to illegal rather than 6mm
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

OK, so had a reply from Continental...
eMail quote:-

Thank you for the information and I apologize for my delay but I was out of office.

I’ve checked my current data base and can confirm this specific tyre comes with 6.1mm average tread depth. The Eco Contact 6Q tyre has design priority toward low rolling resistance in order to achieve maximum fuel efficiency and reduce CO2 into the environment but that does not necessarily mean the mileage performance will be reduced compared to a tyre with a higher starting tread depth.

I’ve attached the technical bulletin fyi.

In terms of information on the web site I notice that the information you found was on our Global website, in order to get information that is correct for products approved for the UK and Ireland it is better to refer to our Continental UK official website. I understand that this can be confusing and I apologize if this has caused confusion.

The 'Technical Bulletin' Referred to:-

Continental pdf.png

As far as the UK site goes, they don't mention tyre depth except in the section on measuring minimum depths.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Thanks for posting this Sparks. At least we know for sure that this is the design of the tyre and isn't a cost cutting exercise by Ford.

I can understand the bulletin saying about lateral movement on a deeper tread would make it initially wear quicker when new but we will just have to see what mileage we can achieve with this tyre. I doubt we would get anywhere by complaining if we only got about 8,000 miles or so out of them.

Thanks again for posting.
Puma ST-Line X 155 | Manual | Grey Matter | Driver Assistance Pack | Winter Pack | Power Tailgate | Spare Wheel
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

Probably to get around the Co2 checks reading that explanation.
Puma Frozen White ST Line X 155 Winter Pack & Driver Assistance Pack.
Vendee

Post by Vendee »

When I picked up my new Puma last month there was a used Puma in the showroom with 10k miles on the clock. It was fitted with brand new Dunlop's which would suggest that the OEM tyres had worn out 😱
Puma ST Line Vignale 125, DAP Magnetic
Pawprint66

Post by Pawprint66 »

Just as a rough measure, I've got 26,000+ miles on my Puma now.

I run 7 months on the Conti's for summer and 5 months on a winter tyre. My car is exactly 2 years old on the 7th March. By my reckoning I've done 15,166 miles on the Conti's and 10,833 on the winters which are on the car at the moment.

Just checking the service record and the average recorded tyre depth on the Conti's is 4.4mm after 15,000 + miles. If they start with an average 6.1mm, then I have no issue with that and think that's fair wear and tear. And the car gets used, not abused but it gets used hard.

Thought this might help others if your concerned over tyre wear. And no I don't work for Continental. :lol:
2020 Puma ST - Line X First Edition - 125 mHEV - Race Red - (Released back into the wild)
2023 Puma ST - Frozen White - Driver Assistance Pack & Powered Tailgate - Machined Magnetite Wheels
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

So it seems that other tyre manufacturers with 9mm tread depth are either using different technology to Continental or they are wasting rubber. I'm sceptical but let's see after I've done 5 then 10 thousand miles.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Rizmo wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:15 pm So it seems that other tyre manufacturers with 9mm tread depth are either using different technology to Continental or they are wasting rubber. I'm sceptical but let's see after I've done 5 then 10 thousand miles.
I'm down to 4mm after exactly 10,000 miles on the front and 5mm rear. So, on track for at least 20,000 miles. I'll see how things go, first proper service due in August, so, I'll use that as decision point.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.