New Owners Check Tyre Depth.

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Thanks............Yes, if any 17" owners out there could contribute it will help. I didn't specify any particular tyre when asking the question. I figure Continental should know who gets what... :D
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Sparks wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:16 am There has been some concern on the forum that Continental are supplying ford with tyres that have a reduced tread depth.
Before checking with Continental I need to know from a few new owners what they got on their new Pumas.
Thanks in advance.
Thanks for looking into this,
My car was showing 4000 miles and the tyre check came back at approx 5mm last time ford had the car so they obviously weren't the normal 7/8mm when new
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
Curryhouse

Post by Curryhouse »

They will NOT be 8mm when new. The new tread depth is standard for this tyre. A quick Google turned up this review - https://tyreland.ie/tyre-review-conti-eco-6/
pompeydave

Post by pompeydave »

Very interesting read Curryhouse ,thanks for posting that .
2022 St-Line X 125 desert island blue
Vendee

Post by Vendee »

Curryhouse wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:59 am They will NOT be 8mm when new. The new tread depth is standard for this tyre. A quick Google turned up this review - https://tyreland.ie/tyre-review-conti-eco-6/
Yeah, very interesting article, thanks. However the article says that the EcoContact 6 comes with a 6.5mm tread. I can categorically state that mine came with only 5mm tread.

Thinking about it, I wonder if Conti measure the tread depth with the tyre deflated which may give a larger reading?
Puma ST Line Vignale 125, DAP Magnetic
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

OK, So, I got a reply from an Engineer at Continental requesting full tyre description..(dot code, tyre pattern, tyre size, load and speed index,).
Can a couple of you give this information so that we know we all have the exact same tyre....Thanks.
Noted the review posted and as stated by others there still seems to be a discrepancy in tread depth.
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Curryhouse, on Continentals website tyre depth average is quoted at 8/9mm so somewhat contradictory.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Can't find the DOT code on mine....I've found the manufacture date, I'm also missing the country of manufacture...
I'm going to guess that Continental will say that the tyres are correct, which is fine, if they can give a reason for it that will satisfy customers (us :D ).
Curryhouse

Post by Curryhouse »

Rizmo wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:40 pm Curryhouse, on Continentals website tyre depth average is quoted at 8/9mm so somewhat contradictory.
Sorry, you have lost me. Where does it say that? I can't find it on their website.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Hi Sparks, I'll post tyre info tomorrow when I pick the car up. No doubt there will be more new owners posting their details tomorrow with it being March 1st.

Looking at the link that Curryhouse posted, Continental explain the reduced depth by incorporating "Green Chili 2.0 compound" that is meant to slow tyre wear but looking at the wear results of the review at only 50%, it doesn't seem that they have achieved their goal.
Puma ST-Line X 155 | Manual | Grey Matter | Driver Assistance Pack | Winter Pack | Power Tailgate | Spare Wheel