Steering wheel misalignment

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
LittlePuma

Post by LittlePuma »

Hi, have you noticed a little misalignment of the steering wheel?
I have mine a little towards the left with the car going straight. If you center it while driving you end up going to the very right side of the road.
I already asked Ford for a check and calibration, they did apply the procedure but not solving the problem so far.
Lately they suggested me to make a tire convergence, which is an operation they can't do in their garages.
What about yours?

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Tire convergence, how very American.....Pop into any tyre place and get a wheel alignment (Tracking) done. costs vary, but around £30 at the nationals. It's cured the same problem you have on other cars I've had. Maybe worth a try...
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
sinlessUK

Post by sinlessUK »

Sparks wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:01 am Tire convergence, how very American.....Pop into any tyre place and get a wheel alignment (Tracking) done. costs vary, but around £30 at the nationals. It's cured the same problem you have on other cars I've had. Maybe worth a try...
Would be my first choice of rectifying the issue…
https://topcashback.co.uk/ref/simon | https://surfshark.club/friend/Fbv9yqHV | https://share.octopus.energy/flax-elm-797 | https://electroverse.octopus.energy/network/sign-up?referralCode=flax-elm-797 | https://app.tronity.io/signup/QJJDFDC6
LittlePuma

Post by LittlePuma »

Ahah I'm not American btw.
I didn't have the time to make it yet . The important thing is to make Ford set the 0 point on the steering wheel electronically before to set the real wheel alignment by a tyre dealer, and not the other way around.

Now I would like to understand how many Pumas come stock with this problem.
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Correct me if I am wrong, but I doubt adjustment of rear wheel alignment on the Puma is possible? They are fixed.
On the front yes of course it is by adjustment of the track rods.
When they do laser alignment on most vehicles they set front to rear and only adjust the front wheels, aligning the steering wheel as part of the track rod adjustment procedure.
Take a look at tyre wear as well, usually if alignment is bad then tyres will wear more on just one side.
Might be an idea to switch tyres around prior to wheel alignment, unfortunately however once a tyre starts to wear uneven, then it is often impossible stop it reguardless.
I know it is not always easy to avoid but if at all possible just don't park up on kerbs, it is a guaranteed alignment wrecking process.
LittlePuma

Post by LittlePuma »

Yes, I'm talking about the front tyres alignment. The standard and common procedure.
Tyres are brand new of course, it's a subtle misalignment, since day one, but it is present and noticeable especially from a moderate speed onwards. Not that much as a problem driving in the city and low speeds in general.
I guess they forgot to check or set the alignment of the car from the factory.
Many go directly and set the alignment by a tyre dealer, which is not the best procedure afaik.
It's best to ask the zero point set up in Ford, then for a tyre alignment if they have the tools.
In my case they told me they didn't have the tools needed.
It's not correct in my opinion I have to pay, regardless the price, for a defect of the vehicle itself.
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

LittlePuma wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:21 pm Yes, I'm talking about the front tyres alignment. The standard and common procedure.
Tyres are brand new of course, it's a subtle misalignment, since day one, but it is present and noticeable especially from a moderate speed onwards. Not that much as a problem driving in the city and low speeds in general.
I guess they forgot to check or set the alignment of the car from the factory.
Many go directly and set the alignment by a tyre dealer, which is not the best procedure afaik.
It's best to ask the zero point set up in Ford, then for a tyre alignment if they have the tools.
In my case they told me they didn't have the tools needed.
It's not correct in my opinion I have to pay, regardless the price, for a defect of the vehicle itself.
That's a bit rubbish saying they don't have the equipment.. if it's out of alignment from new then they should fix the issue. One way or another.
LittlePuma

Post by LittlePuma »

The official Ford center where I live don't have the machinery that have a tyre dealer.
A miserable behaviour for sure leaving the customer with a problem unsolved...
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

LittlePuma wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:39 pm The official Ford center where I live don't have the machinery that have a tyre dealer.
A miserable behaviour for sure leaving the customer with a problem unsolved...
They can order in a mobile unit from many tyre sources. All they need is the willingness to do it, in general that is what's missing with most of them.... :(
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
LittlePuma

Post by LittlePuma »

The worst point is that they initially assured me they would have solved the problem with the adjustments on the car if the electronic calibration alone wouldn't fix it.
When I asked for the second check being the problem not solved, they contacted me just before the check date saying that was an operation to be made outside their garage by myself because they do not make that kind of service.
Very very unprofessional.