Self service oil change

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
LittlePuma

Post by LittlePuma »

Hi, do you know if the warranty would decay in case of an oil and oil filter change made by yourself, rather than a official Ford service shop?

I read one can make it anytime as desired even before the prompted date/mileage, not strictly by Ford.

If I decide to make the service by a general mechanic/not ford official, or by myself, would I maintain the warranty?
Thank you

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

As long as you use genuine Ford parts it would be OK.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Alan321

Post by Alan321 »

You can have your car serviced at any vat registered garage you wish and it won't affect your new car warranty (aftermarket warranties can be different). The onus is on you to prove it was done to Ford's spec, intervals and standard tho, so you need to keep receipts and you're best to use genuine Ford parts (although not strictly necessary). This is under block exemption rules, a court case that car manufacturers lost some years ago.
Also, I personally reckon you could get your next door neighbour to change the oil and nobody would be any the wiser.
LittlePuma

Post by LittlePuma »

Ok thanks so much.
Let's put this way, what if I want to do the job myself, not being a official Ford mechanic?
I'll get myself the parts: engine oil ( Castrol, Bardahl, or others, with Ford exact specs for the engine of the car).
The oil filter could be by the brand Mann or Bosch for instance.
If I'm not mistaken original Ford parts are under the brand Motorcraft, (so a different brand from the ones I'll get), which might be both better or worst form the brands I'm considering to get. I'll use what I like the most, top brands of course.

I'll make the service way before the suggested 30.000 kms or 2 years schedule.
Something around 6000 km, 10000...

In this case would the warranty be void or perfectly maintained? :)
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

See what Ford say here....https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/resources- ... ord-dealer
Of course you should check if that holds true in whichever country you are based.
Personally, I think it would be a waste of money, but, hey! it's your money... ;) :D
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
LittlePuma

Post by LittlePuma »

Read it, thanks. They never mention an option where the service is made by the final customer, so I doubt they may accept it. They suppose it's made by a general mechanic. That might be very important.
Though, they allow you to use parts compatible in reference to what they prescribe.

In the end it all depends in case you'd need a ford service under warranty, if they find something not in line with their policy, your warranty could decay.

I am now curious to see which oil filter is really mounted in the car ( brand and code number).
Thanx again! ;)
pompeydave

Post by pompeydave »

LittlePuma wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:53 pm Hi, do you know if the warranty would decay in case of an oil and oil filter change made by yourself, rather than a official Ford service shop?

I read one can make it anytime as desired even before the prompted date/mileage, not strictly by Ford.

If I decide to make the service by a general mechanic/not ford official, or by myself, would I maintain the warranty?
Thank you
Just be really careful not to mess your warranty up , I’ve just come from an Astra and a member on the Astra k website and there are loads of stories with regards to warranty claims on there. VX would wriggle out of anything if they could .One non VX part or service or missing stamp and that’s it , bang goes any contribution from VX. Only thinking about any poss claims you may well put in for during your life with the car . A bit more extreme on the Astra k site where loads of 1.4t engines are blowing after only 20k etc , they suffer from lspi and VX just don’t want to know especially if you are out of your 3 yr warranty. Even worse if a non VX garage has serviced your car and not put in genuine oil - that’s it game over £4k for an recon engine.
2022 St-Line X 125 desert island blue
LittlePuma

Post by LittlePuma »

That is very realistic.
I'd like to maintain the engine as good as possible, so I'd anticipate the oil change and so on, but not at the price I'd get charged taking the car to an official repair shop, especially doing it so often.
It is all made to go strictly there... :lol:
Every other option is at your own risk.
Even if you decide to go to a non Ford official mechanic, and he puts in other branded parts.
pompeydave

Post by pompeydave »

It certainly is a risk taking elsewhere but what a sad little world we live in. I’d much rather leave my car with local garage who I’ve used for years and 100% happy with than leave car with the Ford tech in the workshop who will try and do everything in half the time to get some sort of bonus at the end of the month! I’ve worked for several main dealers in the parts dept over the years and even now would rather use local mechanic. These manufacturers just want all the business and charge us a fortune.
2022 St-Line X 125 desert island blue
Alan321

Post by Alan321 »

If you're going to change the oil yourself then fit a genuine Ford filter, IMHO nobody would know.