Rear Dash Cam & DAB Interference

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
dartiss

Post by dartiss »

I've just a front and rear Dash cam installed by Halfords and they advised me that the rear camera can cause radio interference. My guess is that it's the location of the wiring going past that from the rear-screen antenna, rather than some kind of RF interference given off by the camera itself.

At the time of install, all seemed fine and FM is... but DAB is not. It works but is no way near as strong as it was. I've read about adding ferrite cores to both ends of the cable and I've done that but... still the same.

I'm going to arrange to take it back but I was told they'd done what they could to minimise it so I'm not sure where I'll stand. Does anybody have any experience of this and/or any suggestions?
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155PS (+factory fit extras) in Fantastic Red

Stevep999

Post by Stevep999 »

Similar problem with my Kuga and Puma when fitting rear camera. I was trying the Nextbase one. It appeared as soon as the cable went near the modules in the tail gate. I even went as far as wrapping the cable with shielding.....didn't work. I've also had issues with cheap noisy usb adapters screwing DAB signal.

Answer.....no rear cam
Full fat ST in Magnetic, DAP, Performance pack, panorama & tailgate :-) - ordered end of March delivered end of May LOVE IT

PUMA ST-X Plus First Edition Plus in Agate Black with comfort pack :-) retired June 2022
DesertIslandBlue

Post by DesertIslandBlue »

I’ve fitted a BlackVue DR900s 2ch to my Puma (since new) and not had any issues…
ST Line X mHEV 125 Desert Island Blue DAP+CP+HFPT
horsewhip

Post by horsewhip »

I've got a Thinkware Q800 Pro – the marketing material mentions the rear camera cable has ferrite cores and is shielded to prevent DAB interference.

My DAB works great.
Stevep999

Post by Stevep999 »

I think mine desensitizes as opposed to wipe the signal completely so depends on your DAB strength initially
Full fat ST in Magnetic, DAP, Performance pack, panorama & tailgate :-) - ordered end of March delivered end of May LOVE IT

PUMA ST-X Plus First Edition Plus in Agate Black with comfort pack :-) retired June 2022
alanp

Post by alanp »

DesertIslandBlue wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:04 am I’ve fitted a BlackVue DR900s 2ch to my Puma (since new) and not had any issues…
Same here no issues at all
St line x 1st edition, it has nearly everything
dartiss

Post by dartiss »

Odd. Like Steve, I have the Nextbase and it's effected the DAB signal (not totally, but I loose the signal a lot more than I did before).
dartiss

Post by dartiss »

I just wanted to post here again as I've solved the issue and wanted to share it. I've written up what I've done - with pictures - on my site. I hope it's okay to share the link...

https://artiss.blog/2021/11/ford-puma-h ... -dashcams/
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

dartiss wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:50 am I just wanted to post here again as I've solved the issue and wanted to share it. I've written up what I've done - with pictures - on my site. I hope it's okay to share the link...

https://artiss.blog/2021/11/ford-puma-h ... -dashcams/
Nice piece there David.
Thinking of getting the Nextbase 622GW fitted, so I'll keep that in mind if it gets done (time permitting :( )..
Be interesting to see if it cures others with the same problem.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
alanp

Post by alanp »

I have a blackvue front and rear cam but haven’t had any issues with dab reception, maybe it’s just with nextbase
St line x 1st edition, it has nearly everything