Remote engine start

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
Tommo56

Post by Tommo56 »

Having an automatic, I used the remote engine start function via the Fordpass app this morning. It cleared the windscreen and my seat and steering wheel were toasty warm when I went out.

But made me think... if I can start the engine in my pyjamas (funny place to have an engine :roll: ), it's such a pity the app won't allow more e.g. flash headlights, sound horn, start hazard lights, etc.
Any ideas why ford limit such a useful app feature? Technical limitations??
2021.75 Puma, STLineX Vignale, MHEV, 155bhp, 7spDCT, Fantastic Red.
Winter pack, Massage seats, B&O audio, Fixed LED headlights - all standard AFAIK. Accessories fitted: "AAWireless" Android Auto, rubber floor and megabox mats.

asl3312

Post by asl3312 »

Tommo56 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:14 pm Having an automatic, I used the remote engine start function via the Fordpass app this morning. It cleared the windscreen and my seat and steering wheel were toasty warm when I went out.

But made me think... if I can start the engine in my pyjamas (funny place to have an engine :roll: ), it's such a pity the app won't allow more e.g. flash headlights, sound horn, start hazard lights, etc.
Certainly an interesting concept, along with the idea of remote opening the boot maybe too?
Out of interest, can you turn the heated screen on via the app once the engine has started up, or is that part of the winter pack functionality?
Only ever used the remote start feature once, and that was walking out to the car on the day we collected it :D
***NOW SOLD*** 2020 ST Line X 7DCT Auto 125PS - Magnetic Grey - DAP - LED - HFPT - Panoramic Roof - 19" Alloys
Tommo56

Post by Tommo56 »

asl3312 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:26 pm
Tommo56 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:14 pm Having an automatic, I used the remote engine start function via the Fordpass app this morning. It cleared the windscreen and my seat and steering wheel were toasty warm when I went out.

Certainly an interesting concept, along with the idea of remote opening the boot maybe too?
Out of interest, can you turn the heated screen on via the app once the engine has started up, or is that part of the winter pack functionality?
Only ever used the remote start feature once, and that was walking out to the car on the day we collected it :D
There is no specific button on the Fordpass app to be able to select any of the winter pack items. As far as I can tell, either it remembers the winter pack settings that were on at the last time you shut off the engine and locked up.... or.... it selects the pack settings based on ambient external temperature, which is what it did this morning when I remotely started the engine as when I finally unlocked and got in the car, the drivers heated seat was on high, heated steering wheel on. From that I'm guessing if it had been cold enough the heated windscreen would have activated too.
2021.75 Puma, STLineX Vignale, MHEV, 155bhp, 7spDCT, Fantastic Red.
Winter pack, Massage seats, B&O audio, Fixed LED headlights - all standard AFAIK. Accessories fitted: "AAWireless" Android Auto, rubber floor and megabox mats.
Alan321

Post by Alan321 »

I read in the manual somewhere that unless you tell it not to, it attempts to get the inside of the car to 21 degrees. Not sure yet how it knows whether to put the heated stuff on or not, but on the few cold mornings earlier this year my stuff was on. BTW using it in summer is nice too since it cools the interior to 21 deg, ie puts the air con on for you getting in.

I'm not sure what use it would be to have functions like flashing the lights etc tho
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Alan321 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:34 am I read in the manual somewhere that unless you tell it not to, it attempts to get the inside of the car to 21 degrees. Not sure yet how it knows whether to put the heated stuff on or not, but on the few cold mornings earlier this year my stuff was on. BTW using it in summer is nice too since it cools the interior to 21 deg, ie puts the air con on for you getting in.

I'm not sure what use it would be to have functions like flashing the lights etc tho
Cools it to 21 degrees!??? That's positively tropical in a car.... :lol: :lol:
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.