Android Auto

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
robgee

Post by robgee »

Came across this link this morning

https://support.google.com/androidauto/answer/10961485

Basically it allows you to beta test android auto updates, wish they would have this for Ford Sync
Ford Puma 125 ST-Line X FIRST EDITION Desert Island Blue (previous)
Ford Puma 155 ST-Line X Blazer Blue (current)

Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

I've signed up, will see what changes happen.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

I use AA instead of the sync features, so, I'm not too keen to be a beta tester, guess I can wait for the new features. It's working perfectly now, so won't jinx it.
I'm awaiting a wireless box to use AA without plugging it in each time.
Judging by the Sync 3 fiasco I don't think Ford have any beta programmes running.... ;)
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
cianpars

Post by cianpars »

Any chance of a link to the wireless box you've ordered Sparks? That sounds like a good idea to me (where do you plan on putting it?).
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

cianpars wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:31 pm Any chance of a link to the wireless box you've ordered Sparks? That sounds like a good idea to me (where do you plan on putting it?).
Sure.....https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/aawireless#/
They are behind with their shipping due to the worldwide chip shortage, but, communication from the company (Dutch) has been excellent.
Mine was due for delivery in June, but, late august seems to be a hopeful date now.
Remember it's a start-up so read the notes.
I'm going to put it in the arm rest.
cianpars

Post by cianpars »

Thanks Sparks. That certainly looks like an interesting concept. Having to plug the phone in every time I get in and out of the car is a real pain.

I guess it won't be long before these become mainstream
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

cianpars wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:36 pm Thanks Sparks. That certainly looks like an interesting concept. Having to plug the phone in every time I get in and out of the car is a real pain.

I guess it won't be long before these become mainstream
Yes once they've got the manufacturing on a roll they'll put it out on the open market. I'll review it here when I get it.
Ford are changing to Android operating system in 2023, so Sync 4 will be the last screw up from them.
Deleted User 702

Post by Deleted User 702 »

Google will be able to screw it up for them!

I actually find the built in Sat Nav generally OK and it provides turn indicators in the main dash as well. Which is useful. I use the free TomTom Amigo app for speed camera warnings by just having it turned on on my phone. It speaks the type of camera coming up and has proven very accurate just sitting on the charging pad.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

I don't see the point in having to use two devices for information. The voice recognition alone for the Sync satnav is a good reason to ditch it. Even if it understands you it only gives a list for you to take your eyes off the road and choose. It won't direct you to a business name. etc. etc. etc. AA is excellent at this, I've not been misunderstood with any requests so far.
I tend to use Waze as the information given about hazards and cameras is second to none and in real time. Each to their own, but, AA transforms the sync 3 screen into something really useful.
pumaman

Post by pumaman »

Although it sounds as if the AAwireless power consumption is low, have you checked to see if the USB ports are permanently live or do they power down with the ignition/leaving the car? I'm tempted to order one, thanks for the info on the AAwireless.