Footwell getting very hot

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
gillybean

Post by gillybean »

I’ve had my brand new puma for around 3 weeks. It is really great and I’ve been so happy with it. It has 200 miles on the clock.

The past few days I’ve noticed that the side of the centre console in the driver’s footwell is getting literally burning hot when it is driven (I burned my leg on it today). Even when only driving say 3 miles it is so hot that it can’t be touched.

vehicle is 1.0 ecoboost hybrid.

anyone else had a similar problem? I’ve called the dealer and they are going to call me Monday morning but it is so bad I literally can’t drive it!

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Hi and Welcome.
I've not had that occur on mine and not seen anyone report it as a problem on the forum.
You did the right thing, get it back to the dealer and let them sort it. it may be a malfunction in the heating system.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Use ford assist. You've paid for it. Sounds like exhaust gases which is why it gets so hot so quickly.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Another thing to check for when next in the car
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
BjNtheBear

Post by BjNtheBear »

Wdf76 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:19 pm Use ford assist. You've paid for it. Sounds like exhaust gases which is why it gets so hot so quickly.
Think that'll be where the heating matrix is located, it uses the coolant in the system to adjust the temp, obviously a control issue, hope that you get it sorted quickly.
Ford Puma ST Line X 155 Desert Island Blue
gillybean

Post by gillybean »

Thanks all - will see what is said when it is back at the garage! Will update once I know.
Such a shame as I’m so happy with the car other than this but it’s literally undriveable!
Deleted User 702

Post by Deleted User 702 »

It'll be nice and toasty in the winter though 😉
gillybean

Post by gillybean »

Ok so update is that Ford replicated the fault. So far it appears that a blanking plate covering the heater matrix is missing. And so they are looking to fix that. Full acknowledgment that it should never have been getting that hot. Just waiting to see if that solves it completely and whether it can be done without replacing the whole heater matrix assembly…
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Nice to know we were on the right track and that you are hopefully on the way to a fix so that you can enjoy the car again.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
BjNtheBear

Post by BjNtheBear »

gillybean wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:29 am Ok so update is that Ford replicated the fault. So far it appears that a blanking plate covering the heater matrix is missing. And so they are looking to fix that. Full acknowledgment that it should never have been getting that hot. Just waiting to see if that solves it completely and whether it can be done without replacing the whole heater matrix assembly…
Ditto as with Sparks comment, hope you get a quick fix and maybe get some goodies as compo for all the hassle and loss of your wee car 👍
Ford Puma ST Line X 155 Desert Island Blue