Lumpy Acceleration

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
Deleted User 702

Post by Deleted User 702 »

Has anyone noticed lumpy progress through the rev range under hard acceleration? Rather than smooth and even progress to the red line? It's almost like there are power bands at certain revs but it doesn't always do it. Could be the electric motor I guess?
The car is a January 21 build MHEV 155

Mike

Post by Mike »

Not noticed anything and I have the 155, any particular revs the issue occurs
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
Deleted User 702

Doesn't always do it so has caught me a bit by surprise on each occasion. Would guess it's around 3k and again around 5k. I'm watching for it now and have a long trip next week so will experiment and note what happens in more detail. Just wanted to know if it's a "feature" or a likely fault I'm looking for.
Mike

Post by Mike »

4 th gear, sport mode, foot down , goes like a little rocket, didn’t notice anything unusual
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
MagneticGrey

Post by MagneticGrey »

Yes, I've occasionally had hesitation under hard acceleration. It's only done it about three times so far, so I am taking a wait-and-see attitude at the moment. Are you still having this problem? My apologies if you've covered this elsewhere - I'm new to the site but I've had a look around before posting. BTW my car is also January 21 build 155PS.
Puma ST-Line X 155 Magnetic (previous)
Nissan Qashqai Tekna E-Power (present)
Tommo56

Post by Tommo56 »

Not noticed any issues. Finally got round to foot down in Sport mode,from stationary and its safe to say that for me it felt like smooth sh*t off a shovel !!!

Love the growl heard in cab from the engine (but probably sounded like a bag of spanners from outside) . 🤣🤣🤣
2021.75 Puma, STLineX Vignale, MHEV, 155bhp, 7spDCT, Fantastic Red.
Winter pack, Massage seats, B&O audio, Fixed LED headlights - all standard AFAIK. Accessories fitted: "AAWireless" Android Auto, rubber floor and megabox mats.
Deleted User 702

I still get it occasionally, I just accept it's a "feature" of the tiny engine. I'm a big engine sort of person so will never be happy with it. Give me a straight Six, V6 or V8 every time. But I do accept it does amazingly well for what it is. Lumpiness and all!
77KJG

Post by 77KJG »

Have noticed the same with my 2020 First Edition 155. I mentioned it to the dealer at first service, especially as the 125 Fiesta that they lent me for the day didn't seem to have the same characteristics, but they said that it was probably because it was so new, and on a low mileage (I bought it second hand from a dealer where I assume that it must have been a demo so was only on 800 miles at 12 months old). But it still seems to be the same now, with 20k on the clock at 3 years, so I'll be mentioning it again at the next service.
ST Line X First edition 155
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Run the fuel tank down then fill with top quality petrol and see if it improves, worth a try and might save a visit to the dealers.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Could also change the fuel filter.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.