Transmission Too Hot Press Brake

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
paulcurtis

Post by paulcurtis »

asl3312 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:12 am Same message appeared for us this morning..
Well I am sorry this has appeared for you, but glad it's not just me! I got fed up with it on the day it really turned nippy, so whilst the technicians and I agreed it was 'just one of those things' on particularly cold days last winter, I chased it up again. They did some research, and advise it is a known issue and a software update. I'm having that done in two weeks, so may know more then.
2020 Puma ST-Line X Vignale 1.0L Ecoboost 125PS 7 Speed Auto - Black

asl3312

Post by asl3312 »

paulcurtis wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:56 am
asl3312 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:12 am Same message appeared for us this morning..
Well I am sorry this has appeared for you, but glad it's not just me! I got fed up with it on the day it really turned nippy, so whilst the technicians and I agreed it was 'just one of those things' on particularly cold days last winter, I chased it up again. They did some research, and advise it is a known issue and a software update. I'm having that done in two weeks, so may know more then.
Keep us posted if the software update sorts it please.
I know I'll get my ears bent if it keeps appearing :D .

I've just cleared the codes with Forscan and taken the car for a test drive, getting it up to temp in different drive modes whilst monitoring the PIDs on the laptop. I couldn't replicate the fault, although it is 1 or 2 degrees warmer than when the fault occurred this morning.

If it was something more sinister I'd expect it to be happening more frequently though.
***NOW SOLD*** 2020 ST Line X 7DCT Auto 125PS - Magnetic Grey - DAP - LED - HFPT - Panoramic Roof - 19" Alloys
paulcurtis

Post by paulcurtis »

asl3312 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:09 am Keep us posted if the software update sorts it please.
Wilco. I am advised that there is no issue with driving the car, it is merely an irritation.
bbtablet

Post by bbtablet »

Try retuning your radio from talkRADIO to Classic FM - that should cool it down a bit!
Lucid red Puma ST Line X 155
asl3312

Post by asl3312 »

bbtablet wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:59 am Try retuning your radio from talkRADIO to Classic FM - that should cool it down a bit!
Thanks.. I'll let the wife know 👍🏻
***NOW SOLD*** 2020 ST Line X 7DCT Auto 125PS - Magnetic Grey - DAP - LED - HFPT - Panoramic Roof - 19" Alloys
Tremand

Post by Tremand »

2 weeks ago I had the same error: Transmission too hot Press Brake.
Contacted the dealer, and dealer checked the error codes and went forward to change the Gearbox temp sensor under the warranty.
The dealer did a test drive and was not able to replicate the error.
I picked up the car and for the next few days, no issues, but then when I parked the car in underground parking and few hours later drove out of it the error came back. The PUMA is going back to the dealer next week.

I think the issue is with what you do when you start the car. The error occurs under specific conditions, when the car has not driven for few hours and then is driven on incline (at least in my case)

How I managed to replicate the error
1) Left the car in the underground parking
2) After few hours of car standing there I get in the car and start the engine
3) Wait about 5-10 sec (get my seatbelt on, tune the radio, wait for the phone to connect to the car, etc :) )
4) Slowly back up out of the parking space and drive for about 30 sec till the exit of the underground parking
5) The exit is in incline (no idea how steep it it, maybe 10%, 15%)
6) Drive up the incline and drive out in the ground level parking lot
7) Driving out of the ground level parking takes about 30s-45 sec or about 200-300m (a lot of cars, and quite narrow)
8) When I'm just outside the parking lot, the error comes up

I tried to replicate the same steps, and the error came up almost in the same spot (maybe 25m earlier or later).
paulcurtis

Post by paulcurtis »

That's really interesting Tremand. I don't think the incline issue occurs here, as I live on the coast and it's as flat as a snooker table. As I said, I was told it was a software issue. I haven't had the issue lately, but then it's a bit milder now. January/February will be interesting.
paulcurtis

Post by paulcurtis »

paulcurtis wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:56 am Well I am sorry this has appeared for you, but glad it's not just me! I got fed up with it on the day it really turned nippy, so whilst the technicians and I agreed it was 'just one of those things' on particularly cold days last winter, I chased it up again. They did some research, and advise it is a known issue and a software update. I'm having that done in two weeks, so may know more then.
The software has been updated. I won't know if it's worked until we get some colder weather (like < 2C).
asl3312

Post by asl3312 »

paulcurtis wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:35 pm
paulcurtis wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:56 am Well I am sorry this has appeared for you, but glad it's not just me! I got fed up with it on the day it really turned nippy, so whilst the technicians and I agreed it was 'just one of those things' on particularly cold days last winter, I chased it up again. They did some research, and advise it is a known issue and a software update. I'm having that done in two weeks, so may know more then.
The software has been updated. I won't know if it's worked until we get some colder weather (like < 2C).
Apparently we had this issue again the other morning, it was around 6C. Interested to see how you get on, keep us posted.. cheers
paulcurtis

Post by paulcurtis »

I've had no further instances of the message. So it looks like the software fix was effective.