Brake disc scoring

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
MagneticGrey

Post by MagneticGrey »

My front offside disc developed a couple of score rings shortly after I took delivery of the car; a month later the marks are barely visible.
The rear brakes are occasionally noisy, which I think is due to them only getting lightly used. Occasional firm braking seems to quieten them down for a while.
I think that brake noise from the rear is likely to be more noticable because of relatively poor sound insulation in the back, due to the megabox. I don't know if it's my imagination but road noise sounds to be slightly muted when there are half a dozen bags of shopping in the megabox.
Puma ST-Line X 155 Magnetic (previous)
Nissan Qashqai Tekna E-Power (present)

Mike

Post by Mike »

MagneticGrey wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:11 pm My front offside disc developed a couple of score rings shortly after I took delivery of the car; a month later the marks are barely visible.
The rear brakes are occasionally noisy, which I think is due to them only getting lightly used. Occasional firm braking seems to quieten them down for a while.
I think that brake noise from the rear is likely to be more noticable because of relatively poor sound insulation in the back, due to the megabox. I don't know if it's my imagination but road noise sounds to be slightly muted when there are half a dozen bags of shopping in the megabox.
Better not let my wife see this , she will use it as an excuse to buy more.

My neighbour has a Toyota which can sit for months as he works away, no rust at all on his discs and no battery issues.
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
MagneticGrey

Post by MagneticGrey »

Mike
Interesting to hear about the Toyota, I had thought that superficial rusting of brake discs was common to all makes :) .
Puma ST-Line X 155 Magnetic (previous)
Nissan Qashqai Tekna E-Power (present)
Mike

Post by Mike »

Obviously not, and his sits outside
Mike

Post by Mike »

Brake discs scchh noise loud today even after a few miles, no signs of scoring but just really noisy if the radio is off and you are coming to a standstill, another call to the dealer I guess, tried lifting off , put in neutral and braking quite hard coming off the motorway a few times but no better, no signs of rust so putting down to discs/ pads, will get on to them for the new year.
My van did it the other day but it had sat and within a couple of uses the noise disappeared,.
cianpars

Post by cianpars »

I had a look around a car park whilst on holiday where all the cars had been left overnight. Only the discs on the Fords were rusty but the other makes were fine. Clearly a quality issue with the components Ford is using. Most of my most recent vehicles have been fords, but ive had a few other makes as well and also noticed but it is only the Fords that get rusty discs.
Vendee

Post by Vendee »

cianpars wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:21 am I had a look around a car park whilst on holiday where all the cars had been left overnight. Only the discs on the Fords were rusty but the other makes were fine. Clearly a quality issue with the components Ford is using. Most of my most recent vehicles have been fords, but ive had a few other makes as well and also noticed but it is only the Fords that get rusty discs.
Sorry but I've fitted many a set of 3rd party (Non OEM) discs to my Fords over the years and they all rust when they get wet.
Puma ST Line Vignale 125, DAP Magnetic
Mike

Post by Mike »

I’ve posted before, a neighbour has a Toyota which can be parked for a couple of months as he works away, discs always look nice and shiny when I walk past, my focus I had many years ago always suffered with rusty discs but cleaned up after a couple of applications, the puma has no rust just a horrible sscchh noise when braking.
fieldside

Post by fieldside »

Good Evening ,
My 70 Plate Puma went in for It`s Two Year Service this month with 22755 miles on the clock , when I collected the car I was told the rear Discs were scored and would need to be replaced .
I have had new cars for over 30years and usually keep them for 4 years Max and I have never had to replace the discs on any previous vehicle ,Could I ask if other owners have had this experience.
When I contacted Ford I was told this was Ware and Tare which I find unacceptable ,as since this incident I have looked at a number of vehicles of similar age to find this would appear to be a common problem with the rear brakes
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Rear disc wear must be a fifth of the front disc. Rear brakes don't contribute a lot to braking and as in all cars going back many years are primarily operated by the handbrake. Ford are dodging the issue.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.